What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Types of Circulation Fans

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I purchased a prefabricated vinyl indoor greenhouse to grow my Nepenthes and other cps in. I have had this greenhouse for about 1 week. I was not using a fan and developed some black mold on some of my Nepenthes' leaves. It was suggested that I wipe off the mold and use a fan to prevent this. I had been leaving part of the greenhouse open to help with circulation, but this obviously did not work.

I have not been able to find a small fan to use in this indoor greenhouse. The greenhouse is 28"Lx19"Wx5'H. I currently am using a small clip on desk fan for circulation. This is the same one I had blowing onto the greenhouse, but it has now been moved inside and turned to low speed.

I have read that computer cooling fans can be used, but local suppliers are out of the 120V fans at this time.

What other types of fans are people using to circulate the air in their terrariums and greenhouses?

Your setup sounds much larger then mine but I use a regular box fan and point it at the back of my shelving where the aquarium is kept in an enclosed area. There is a small opening at the top so it provides good air circulation. You could get the smaller industrial size fans from Home Depot (which I think are still on sale here for fifty bucks) and connect it to some ventillation duct tubing on it and circulate the air through there. You can get the kind that gets really small (about 1 and a half radius) and has small holes in it. It'll emit air evenly across the entire side, top, etc...... Sorry if this is not what you were thinking of at all and I just took up a whole bunch of time for nothing. This is what I would do if I had your setup and the money. Hope this gives some ideas. Shauntell

Couldn't find a small fan in my area to use in my terrarium/indoor greenhouse. Bought a clearance battery operated clip fan for $1.00 at Walmart. Converted it to run off a AC adapter with some parts from RadioShack and Odd Lots. Seems to help keep the humidity up and appears to be circulating the air well.  
biggrin.gif

Final cost was $7.98 + tax.

That's nice! Sounds a lot less complicated then my idea. Glad you didn't listen to me. I make everything too extravagent, technical, and unnecessary. (just in case I try to give you advice in the future)
biggrin.gif

Back