What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ligthing question

• Thread starter Joe Dirt
  • Start date
what size fixtures are there for flourescents? do they make double light 18" long flourescent fixtures?
thanks

Hi Joe

Yes, flourescent fixtures and be purchased in 18, 24, 36, and 48" sizes. Make sure the tube wattage is the same as the fixture's wattage.

lights

If you are looking for lights for a ten gallon then check this link. I bought a 72 watt power compact for my 10 gallon tank for about a hundred dollars. little pricey but real nice looking.

joe

Thanks for the link joe they look really neat but very high cost.

Do you have any prob with heat ? or did you get a fan . I have one of them cheap 40 watt CF you can buy at home depot for 11 bucks and it really gives off lots of heat at the base part.

_-West-_

West871,
I bought those twin tube 4' flourescent fixtures from Home Depot for $7.50 per fixture (really cheap!!&#33
wink.gif
, and they do give off a little more heat than the more expensive kind. I have a fan blowing over/under (I guess I could say "around," then, couldn't I?) them. Seems to do the trick. Also a good way to encourage a little air movement within my tank....

I use a 2' quad tube over my terrarium and also have a fan running to keep it cool. I too find the air circulation a benefit but my only problem is that the fan (really old one) vibrates and causes a couple of my vft's to "do the boogie".
biggrin.gif
They don't seem to be affected by the vibrations and are growing well.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I have 4 10 gallon terrariums. Here is what I am using for lighting. It includes 3 2-bulb 48" light fixtures suspended from a pvs pipe support.

LightingFor4TenGallonTanks.jpg

that is really nice looking i must say i wish i had the room and the money oh well i bought a cheep florecent from home hardware i used to use it for a desk light it works great i have an open stile growing spot for it thogh and my room is pretty cold right now because of winter and the wind i think mine sits around 70 usualy however the sun hit it today and it went up to almost 80 and i think it might go down past 60 at night when i shut off the light

Back