What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enclosure

Hi all,
I'm posting a simple plan/drawing of an easy to build, fairly inexpensive enclosure. I built it to the dimensions of the large work table that it sets on. It's not furniture quality, but it's very efficient for growing cp's in.

Alan

encloser.jpg

enclosur.jpg

Very nice! Super! This summer I am going to constuct a larger perminant one hopefully that you can walk in. Great job!
smile.gif

Looks very nice. Have you thought about treating the pine? I think it will get pretty fuzzy pretty fast with all that humidity if left bare. Perhaps it won't? .. just a thought
T

NG, I'm going to build a second one simular to the first, but I will put it outside on my patio so the &%&&& wind won't knock over my Sarracenias this coming growing season. Nothing annoyes me more that a horizontal tube!

Tony, I considered treating the pine, but was concerned about residual vapors causing problems, so I didn't. I will have had it set up for almost a year now and fortunately, have had no mold/fungus problems. As it's ventilated (has to be with the light fixtures inside) the humidity level never becomes saturated, and rarely goes above 90%, with an average of around 75%. I was also concerned about the humidity causing corrosion problems in the flourescent tube contacts, I check them regularly and so far have had none.

Wow, cool plans, could you tell me a rough estimate of how much the whole thing costs?

Sundewd, the enclosure itself cost about $35 or $40 US to build, not including the light fixtures and humidifier. I chose to use steel angle braces to attach all the wood joints together because they give excellent strength to weight ratio and save a lot of time. Unfortunately, they were the most expensive part of the construction.
Always keep this in mind: With lighting fixtures on the inside of an enclosure, be careful of what you do with water eg. placing cups, trays or whatever on top of the lights invite danger. H20 + Electricity = electrocution/fire.

Thanks, i will probably make one. Could you post it again, i cant see it any more, and i forgot to save it.
wow.gif

Sundewd, sorry, I had to temporarily remove the pics to make room for some other stuff. I ISP only allows 3 Megs of space and that gets used up quickly when pictures are in there. Please PM me with your e-mail address and a send them directly to you.
Alan

Back