What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of bogs and gh

Here are two bogs I made with the Sarracenia $1 sale plants.

minibog2TopView.jpg

minibog1TopView.jpg

You've probably all seen it before, but...

Dsc00007.JPG

As you can see the plants are just coming out of dormancy. This setup require minimal watering (once every three weeks or so here in souther CA) and the plants all seem to like it.

-noah

Very nice! I don't have the money to make a bog garden at the moment, but these pictures are giving me some ideas whenever I start one.

Very nice pictures. My bog is actually in the ground, along side a pond. It is under construction and has to wait for agreeable weather and days off. I will send pictures when it is presentable. It will have more than cps, actually a good variety.

Maybe I'll make a bog garden whenever we get our pond in, but that won't be for a while. Right now the sunroom is the first priority.

noah!
could it be possible to get piece of you water hyacint...
I have heard that it grow very big....so I think that if you have some extra...
smile.gif

Well construction is under way. I will post photos as I go. One major draw back has appeared thus far.

Have I mentioned my oversized bird dog? He likes to sit in the existing pond as his own private jacuzzi. Well, I am now digging the bog and new (second) pond. I am moving the dirt to where I plan the waterfall to be placed. Now to a dog there is only one good reason to move dirt. There has got to be a really tasty treat under there!!! I have gone out twice to find my large pile of dirt strewn about and my dog looking dejected.

I have to get my kids trained to lock him in his oversized Kennel! I will also post photos of my stupid but devoted dog.

I heard making a bog is alot of work to keep it maintained...

Hi Weser,

Shipping would be a problem, otherwise It would not be a problem to get you some. It propogates itself readily. Ask around at european forums though, someone should be happy to trade or give you some.

Trapsrock,

Actually, on the contrary, my bog need VERY little maintainance. I water it (refill the resevoir "moat" around the outside of the bog) roughly once every three weeks, and check for bugs and growth problems about once a week. The plants love the bog and take very little care... always a plus when your collection is big.

I will post pics of the bog I helped design and build at my local botanical garden. Several forum members were involved in the replanting this past weekend!

-noah

Here's some pics of a bog planting. Noah, you can explain this.

bog1.jpg

bog2.jpg

bog3.jpg

Oh wow. Are these pics from the Huntington gardens? The background kind of looks like it.

Thanks Larry!

No, the pics are from Conejo Valley Botanical Garden. These pics were taken most way through planting, after which we errected a shade structure. The barrell in the middle is for monitoring and maintaining the water level. The bog is undrain, and the substrate is composed of a mixture of peat, perlite, and a sand.

Pictured are s. (alata? could also be wherryi 'yellow flower&#39
wink.gif
in front of the pot in the middle, various low-lying sarracenia species and hybrids along the front (left), rubra gulfensis in flower in the corner, vft in the back, flava (typical, ornata, red tube) middle back (behind the tub, next to another alata or two), hybrids agacent to the flava, a mound of vfts in the right middle, surrounded by s. leuko in the back. More hybrids and species in the front, and drosera binata dichotoma 'giant' next to the pot on the right.

That's me in the awkward position planting, and my brother Peter in the back.
biggrin.gif

-noah

P.S. those of you in the ventura county area, check the star for more pics and an article.

P.P.S. Ignore the misquotes, please.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Weser,

Shipping would be a problem, otherwise It would not be a problem to get you some. It propogates itself readily. Ask around at european forums though, someone should be happy to trade or give you some.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Don't even send them across State lines!! Many State spend millions getting rid of them, and you could get into big trouble.

ok! Thanks still.

Tim. not Finland, here`s cold winters and many meters of ice on lake.....they cant survive. I thought to grow inside, is bowl, you know....
I soo that in Botanical in I loved it...
wink.gif

000_0101.jpg
Here is my mini bog in mid. march, the flower is S. Rehdiri,
Kevin

Hey noah, is that Conejo Valley botanical garden near San Diego, CA? And do they sell cps?

The hole is dug. The walls are in! Tomorrow I ca n lay the liners for the bog and the pond!!!! Yes!!!

me.jpg

you can see my mini bog in front of the terrarium

Back