What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pic of new g/h

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
here is a pic of my new green house.
ghoutside.jpg

Andrew

Nice! Is that going to be a coldframe or have some sort of heat source so you can go beserk with nepenthes?
biggrin.gif

lol, no there is no heat source.  just the swamp cooler ... :-(  my neps will be staying inside in a terrerium.
Andrew

edit: picture is taken from outside the green house.  the tan box on the left is a master cool swamp cooler and  the door to get in is in the middle.    
wink.gif

Beautiful...I've been wanting to build a green house, but I don't have to much money, and not verymuch experience with carnivorous plants, plus I'll be going off to college in a few years, so I guess I'll wait a few years
sad.gif

Although my mom wants me to build her one so she can grow flowers and stuff, so I'll end up building one eventually anyways.

By the way, what's the stuff called u used for the walls (the see thru stuff)
thanx-warped

That is greenhouse glazing material called polycarbonate or known as corrugated plastic in hardware stores sometimes. Not cheap but good for strength.

yup, thanks nepg. If you want some information on it... the web site is http://www.tuftexpanel.com. and I contacted them for some specific info that I will give here for any of you that might be interested in it.
Here is the light transmission for each of our panels.

Smoke 84% light transmission
Clear 93% light transmission
White 78% light transmission

The material is uv protected to keep the panels from deteriorating but does not block out the UV rays needed for the plants.

For your information the smoke panels are darker therefore it becomes quite warm directly underneath them.

Andrew

What would be something that's cheap for the sides of the green house. (on a limited budget.:( )

uhm maybe just green house plastic then? You know the kind that comes on a roll... I don't know how long it lasts though or how much effort goes into installing it.
Andrew

Yep that would be the cheapest and most versatile I think. It costs increases depending on how much you need, it's a direct variable, the more you need the more you pay. I paid $150 for a roll of it 100ft long by 20 some feet wide. My greenhouse is 22 ft long by 14ft wide so it will give me about 4 coverings worth or so the poly usually last about 3 to 5 years depending upon climate and how well you take care of it. It's not hard to install on the greenhouse, but don't do it on a windy day!
wink.gif

Just for future reference:

How do you cut polycarbonate??(corrugated plastic)

How are you able to secure it ?

Lenny

You can cut polycarbonate with a fine toothed saw so it will almost melt the plastic from the friction of the sawblade and the teeth aid in cutting of course too, but this will give you a nice "smooth" edge rather than coarse and jagged if you used a regular saw. To secure, predrill a hole where you want a screw to be placed and drill it in, you must predrill a pilot hole othrwise theforce fo the screw will crack the plastic. If they are self-tapping screws then just find a place and go.

I did use a fine tooth blade in my sawzall but it didn't seam to melt it. It cut it just like anything else. You should have someone help you hold it though cause It jumps all over the place. LOL. You should use the screws that are made for this. Usally they are self drilling so you don't gotta dill the pilot hole.. and they even have a rubber gasket think built in. So you screw the screw in and at the same time it drills the hole and seals itself. :)
Andrew

There are also boards cut with the corrugated pattern, so that they fit more snuggly to the PC and prevent it from vibrating in the wind if you bolt it to them. My dad made a couple portable cold frames out of PC years ago, and unfortunately not even those matched pieces of wood could protect the plastic against my hometown winds!
wow.gif

Yup, wood ones and a ones made of a kinda foamy consistancy... I am not sure if their main purpose is to help vibration as D. muscipula stated or to make it more air tight... or maybe both. lol. I didn't use any though.. instead of installing some type of vent, i just rely on the leaks. hehe. humidity is still acceptable though.
Andrew

I was wondering if there was a purpose to build a Green House in South Florida?? I think I would cook all my plants.

LenG444,

During the summer, we have greenhouse conditions so it wouldn't be necessary. During the winter though, a greenhouse would be awfully nice for tropical Drosera and Neps.

SF

Ok...If you guys know were I can get plans for a green house it would be really helpfull
biggrin.gif
(I dunno much about it)

Thanx-warped
tounge.gif

Back