What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea for green house

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
I was planning on building a greenhouse in my backyard, and I was thinking to put on the side of my house. But i dont know how sturdy pvc would be. And It gets aobut 3 hours of direct sunlight at least. Any ideas? Sorry im so vague...

Hi
I'm planning on building a polythene greenhouse next year. I don't know if PVC and polythene are the same thing, but polythene lasts 4-10 years, although it's extremely cheap to replace. I think the plastic is sturdy, the only way it can get damaged is if you cut it. It's more the structure which determines the strength.
What time of day do you get your 3 hours of sun? I get 3 hours of sun in my badly positioned greenhouse which I am replacing, which isn't enough give bright colours, although it gets it's light in the morning and late afternoon.

Are you talking about using PVC pipe for the frame? If so it is very easy to work with and holds up well. Polythene plastic is often used as a covering and it lasts for 1-3 years depending on the UV radation damage.

i built an 10 by 18 ft green house out of PVC. all together it probly cost me about $65. It worked very well, the only problems i had with it were making the bisquene stay, and sometimes it had just enough give to knock some of my plants down. But that could probely be solved by not using bisqene, use the solid sheets of fiberglass, alot more expensive though. another thing that might cost you very little is getting pressure treated land scape timber and building it out of that. That is not much more expensive than getting the correct strength PVC.

Joel

Be carefull with the pressure treated lumber. The chemicals can leach out and kill the plants.

If you can weld (ok big if) and if you have a mig welder (another big if) Hot Rolled T channel steel can make a very strudy and low cost frame, and the T shape (properly managed) makes nice frames for rigid glazing. You should paint the frame with a marine epoxy paint to prevent rust.

For rigid glazing I like a kind of clear plastic "honeycomb" that my local plastic Dist has. It is UV ok and effectively Double walled, and spreads light well, only draw back is $80.00 per 4'x10' sheet. I can post pics of this material used for a porch roof If you like. advise.

I Havent found a non-rigid glazing I am happy with yet.

Ghrey

Back