What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tall plants

G

What's the best, most affordable lighting setup for tall plants like nepenthes. I'm talking around 2.5 feet high. Thanks.

High pressure sodium or metal halide.

I think the HPS is a little cheaper and a little more economical to run but I prefer the metal halide because the light is whiter looking.

Tony

Do you know any good places to get those from? And are all of the bulbs the same, or what type would be best? And would heat from the lights be a big issue? Apreciate it.

I would recommend metal halide lights using the new ceramic-bulbs. Best light color is propably 942 (4200 K, very natural light, a 150W bulb gives you about 34000(&#33
wink.gif
lumen and this with excellent spectrum !
High pressure sodium lights (at least with high power)are more effektive in lumen/W, but less effektive for photosysnthetic rates.

Look at :
http://www.hereinspaziert.de/Sehlicht/wuchslicht3.htm

Martin

Ok, so how much would you expect to pay for the metal halide light fixture, and the bulbs? And how far away should the lights be from the growing point? Thanks Tony and Martin
smile.gif

ahh, I'm sorry, the output is 14.000 lumen of coarse, not 34.000. This would be impossible :)

I bought an used 70W halid lamp (HQI shop light) at ebay for 20 Euro and bought a new ceramic "bulb" for about 14 Euro.
Not really expenisive.

Martin

How much is 20 Euro in American dollars
confused.gif
?

if you run a search on yahoo you can find an economical 400 watt halide system for under 200 dollars shipped from any hydroponics supplier. The pendant hangs from the ceiling and I would say about 3-4 feet from the plants to be safe.

joe

Just remember, I saw a 175watt halide security light at homedepot for $83.

joe

Distance will depend on the power of the system. A higher wattage bulb will need to be further away but at the same time it will light a larger surface area.

Another place to look would be Aquariaum sources for used equipment or perhaps Ebay for a used fixture. What is important is the wattage and a good reflector. You will want to get a new bulb for it anyway. It would be a good idea to research bulbs and find the one you would like to use and then get a fixture that will use it. Both the metal halide and the HPS bulb types come in horizontal and pendant and a variety of bulb bases. So it is important that the fixture and the bulb are compatible.
Tony

Man, I about got a headache last night looking at different types of lights. Very confusing. I've found lights for 400 and 1000 lumens, both high pressure sodium and metal halide. I'm guessing that's way to much on the electric bill, and they put out over a hundred lumens
wow.gif
. I'll keep searching, but keep the advice coming
smile.gif
. Thanks.

Ok, I've narrowed it down to two choices. One is here;

http://www.hydroponics.net/_scripts/_lists/details.asp?i=388525
This one is a metal halide lamp for 1000 watts. Costs $200. It would probably cost me a dollar a day, so I may just get the 400 watt one for $150. At that wattage, I could place it about 4 feet above the pots right? My other choice would be;

http://www.igcusa.com/sunlight_supply_greenhouse_grow.htm

The Sun System VII Super Spectral System with dual 400 watt metal halide, and 400 watt hps bulbs for $390. Witch one is better considering price, electrical bills, and efficiancy for plant growth? Later.

Nathaniel, I'm seriously looking into option #1 for myself in the 400 watt version. Cheap, adjustable, descent reflector, medium power, good starter set in my opinion.

joe

Something else to think about..

The more bulbs you have the more bulbs that need replacing. It is not a whole lot more to replace a single large bulb vs a smaller bulb. It gets very expensive to replace multiple bulbs though. There is some argument that a combination of one HPS and one metal halide gives a better balance of light. This is true, however a high quality bulb in either type will work very well without the other.

Personally I would go with at least a single 400watt to start with.
Tony

Tony is right,....

BUT...

If you have only artificial light reaching your plants and you have only one bulb then the shadows (for excample a smaller plant overgrown by a larger one) will be almost 100% shadows (=no light for the small plant)

If you have two different bulbs at different angles then most of the shadows will only be 50% shadows.

The light also doesn't vary as much from center to corner as it is with one light bulb.

If one light is damaged and you aren't able to replace it for some time than your plants have to survive complete darkness when there is no remaining functional bulb left. Otherwiese you have still 50% of the light (if you use 2 bulbs)

-

A drawback of more bulbs other than the higher costs is that bulbs with lower wattage are often less effective (lumens/W) than the powerfull ones.
This may be compensated by the better light distribution of two or more bulbs.

Martin

Haunustly, I think a 1000 watt light for $200 would be best. It will give me the needed ground area for my really big plants(like N. rafflesiana giant) and the needed hight for my nepenthes. Though it may cost a lot (electrical bills) it should give me great results. I know the person who made the Plants With Attitude webpage uses the same wattage metal halide lamp. Says it works great for him (but costs him like a dollar a day).

Good points Martin. That is one of the big reasons behind all those gizmos to make the single fixtures mobile and cut down on shadows from a single fixed point source.

It would be interesting to compare initial cost and operating costs for a single 1000watt fixture on a moveable rail vs 2 400 watt fixed in position.

Tony

Back