What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water/pond plants

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi

This weekend for some reason I got a wild hare (or perhaps it was a wild hair) and I bought some water plants. I went crazy!--one water lettuce, one water hyacinth and little snippet of a mosaic plant.
smile.gif
I don't have a pond (just my CP microbogs) so for the moment I threw them all into a tub of water. Oh and there is some fairy moss in the CP bogs.

Will the fact that its tap water hurt them? And do they need a substrate to live (the temporary tub is just a tub of water)? And will they survive cold temps (freezing and below)? I was doing some research last nite but not finding the info I wanted.

I dont really have the space for a real pond but I have seen some really nice mini ponds (like barrels and large pots). I'd like to add a mini water lily or something if I can find a container and a sunny spot. (Like I need MORE plants...*sigh*)

Any tips?

Suzanne

Hi,

DO NOT BUY MORE PLANTS. I HAVE TOO MANY!!!!!!! Take my plants, please. Besides what you already have I can give you frog bite, duck weed, lilies, water crest, reeds and a vining plant.

Put a small pump in and get some water circulation. Rain water is much better. Try to at least treat it. Last year I used mostly tap and lost almost all of my plants. This year both ponds are 100% covered and I NEED to get rid of some.
some will sink to the bottom when the water gets cold. The submerge as to not freeze, but that only works in pond deeper than the frost line. Where are you living?

you can use a large tuperware tub for a small pond(under $5 at wal-mart&#33
wink.gif

Oh, and they wont survive freezing temps (bring them in under lights for the winter), also the mosaic plant will have to be planted in yard dirt covered in a layer of pea gravel (you can also use uncented Kitty litter as a substrate), I have found it unnecisary to use rainwater with aquatics

Tap water contains cholorine harming the plants. There are many things you can do, set up a fresh water aquarium to make your house more decorative. The gravel or the substrate you use will help tie down your plants to the bottom. You don't have to add in anything such as food for the plants, if you use tap water let it decholorinate for a day in the open before introducing it to your plants. I will recommend getting the plants from Copper =D. Because they are pond plants and grow really really fast. I recommend starting with a huge tank, and letting it fill, or small tank and keep trimming =D. Anyways aquatic plants can brighten your day when you have fishes =D. Giving too much light and the wrong kind of light, might introduce algae into the water. You can use product to get rid of the algae, but if you don't want to use an aquarium, I'll get a tub and gets some clean pea gravel, and introduce the plants into the tub. But the aquairum, is beneficial to your house =D.

lol DKim...there is NOWHERE in my house for a water aquarium! My house if full of furniture and plants! That would be really cool though. I was thinking more along the lines of a simple tub type thing outdoors. I don't have electricity outside for a water pump. But I've seen small ponds in things like barrels and large pots that don't have any elaborate set up. Right now my little plants are just floating in the tub. At the greenhouse I went to, they had a large round pot with a mini water lily and a couple of hyacinths in it--no pumps or anything. So I thought maybe you could do this without that stuff.

Thanks for the plant offer Copper.
smile.gif
First I need to see if I can grow anything without killing it. I would love to have a water lily but I don't want to kill it. Actually I'd love to have all that you mentioned but I don't want to take anything that I'd kill.

Pond Boy...thanks for info on the mosaic plant. Right now it is just floating free in the water. I'll try to get it potted in something.

If my little plants survive til winter, I can bring them in and put them under lights I think.

Thanks all!

Suzanne

When the temps drop down to 45 degrees at night thats when you have to bring them in.Put them in shallow water under grow lights and they should over winter well (but dont be surprised if they become very small),and can be planted back out in the spring when temps stay above 60 at night. As I mentioned rubermaid tubs work great as "mini ponds" as do children wading pools,and both are quite inexpensive. Happy ponding!, pond boy.

Oops,I double posted my bad.

Back