What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bubble wrap

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Well this sub-forum came about just in time for me.

I have recently switched to growing many of my Utrics and Pings in covered propogators outside. This has given me huge amounts of extra space but I have a problem with the temp inside the propogators breaking 41 deg C!!! As an attempt at creating a 'shade' I cut up an old shower curtain and stapled it to my patio railing, now I feel there is too little light but the temp is in a much more acceptable range.

Now, I have reams of large bubble wrap and I am wondering, if I decide to use it will it cut the light enough to prevent the massive heat build up?

Any thoughts or experience?

Pyro

well... If you had little droplets of water onthe cover, wouldn't it act like a magnifying glass? Probably not the same as a) its not water, and b) they're empty bubbles...

Hold the bubble wrap up to sun to find out I guess. hehe... Try with some tape first, then staple it down...

On my old greenhouse I used awning material, purchased at Home Depot, for a shade cloth. Bubble wrap is usally recomended as insulating material to keep the heat in, the dead air space prevents heat transfer. I will check to see if I keep the shade cloth and what condition it is in. I will message you tonight or tomorrow if I still have it.

Thanks Magore, I appreciate that.

I know that bubble wrap can work as an insulator but I was going to have it tacked between the slats on my patio railing so it would not actually be on the propogators. I was hoping that the sunlight would be reduced and more diffused after traveling through it and therefore help keep the heat down while still allowing good light.

You might try a piece of fiberglass window screen. It will allow air circulation still and block some light (approx 30%). I would think bubble wrap would still allow infrared to go through and then end up holding the heat in.

T

hes not attaching it to the tank tho, hes just basically, using it to block sun... it ownt even be near the plants... I dont think...

You are right Parasuco, it won't be on the propogators or near the plants.

Let me try and diagram it

I D
S    I D
U    I D
N    I D              DOME
    I D             /        \
    I D           /            \
    I D         /                \
                 PROPOGATOR

So the slats ('I') have the bubble wrap ('D') stapled to them and the domed propogators sit about 6-12" from the base of the railing.

er whatever...

The only way to cut the heat is to block light.. the more light you block the less infrared that hits the propagators and the cooler they will stay. This is of course the great challenge with growing outdoors under the sun... providing the light and moisture levels the plants want without getting them too hot. There is a trade off with reducing heat build up and that is less light. The only way around it is to use artificial cooling ie evaporative, ac etc

will the bubble wrap diffuse the light? probably a little.. but I doubt it will reduce heat build up much since it will not block much light.

Only one way to find out I guess.
T

I agree with Tony's statement? What is there to lose, right now, what do u have up? If nothing than definaltly go for it, no use in not trying... Just keep a close eye on the temps....

What if u lifted the propagot lid up a bit off the tray/ground/wutever its resting on, say about an inch or so?

Yeah Tony, you are undoubtedly correct (I have taken enough physics courses that I should have figured out that bubble wrap wouldn't block the IR wavelengths.)

I guess I'll have to think up a new plan

so what you need is something clear or nearly so that will block/deflect or absorb the infrared rays only!

Not sure if there is anything out there like that but hey you never know.
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ Aug. 05 2002,3:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah Tony, you are undoubtedly correct (I have taken enough physics courses that I should have figured out that bubble wrap wouldn't block the IR wavelengths.)

I guess I'll have to think up a new plan[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think you might be surprised how much IR is blocked. Since it's not incident on a flat surface a lot will be reflected. I would give it a shot.

You can always put a fan in there as well.

( since we are making this )
smile.gif

Place your bubble wrap....inside your patio, run a fan. Box fan or whatever you have. It does work. I will put out more fans in the greenhouse on the days that the temps here are high, and just that extra bit of airflow really helps with the temps.( that is in addition to the other fans, misters and louvers- Houston gets pretty steamy ).

Just so you have some circulation in your area, and not stagnant hot air building.

It is my understanding that evaportive cooling doesn't work in areas with high humidity. ( at least that is what the sales person told me
smile.gif
)

Good luck with what you do, and take some pics up it when you have it up and running!!

A good idea Jeff but the propogators are only 10 x 20 x 8 and don't really have a lot of extra room.

I'll send you a pic of it all if you like, just to give you an idea.

Pyro

Back