What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airconditioning

• Thread starter joseph
  • Start date
Anyone have any good methods they use to cool thier highland tanks at night??? I was thinking of a peltier cooling system but I want to know what everyone else is using before i invest.

thanks
joe

I've heard mention of frozen jugs of water... not very scientific but I guess it works.

I'm looking for something that can be automated but thanks anyway.

joe

An air conditioner would steal the humidity in your tank, you're best idea might be to go with something basic. Not sure if there is automated cooling pads that you can purchase to put under your tank...could shop around I guess!
smile.gif

I run an AC during summer and a simple fan during winter. it is piped into the terrarium using 4" dryer vent hose from home depot but before the air enters the terrarium it is humidified by a 2" hose coming from a Vicks Ultrasonic fog humidifier.
All this is rigged up to a humidistat, two stage thermostat (set for night & day) and timer for the A/C. All I do is water the plants twice a week and feed each new pitcher that opens. It's hassle free other than filling the jug on the humidifier every day or two but the electronics did cost me about $400 however the same pieces can be used on a larger enclosure all the way up top a 10 ft x 10 ft room so it'll automate my collection for years to come til I actually have a greenhouse. If you want "hassle free" it'll cost ya. Basically I've built a greenhouse in my house as these are the same controls used to automate a greenhouse.

Thanks ForestLoam,

I need to get much lower temperatures in comparison to ambient due to the highland plants and high utah temps. The milk jug idea does work but as an engineer I'm required to go completely overboard in solving the problem. So I will be constructing a small AC unit with closed circuit air flow. I've got the basic design done, I just need to order the parts. When it is done I will take a few pictures of it to show off and perhaps even construct a few extras for those that like high tech solutions to low tech problems.

joe

With the humdity drop in using an A/C window unit or a refrig system. you can solve this by not letting the air from the tank or what ever you are trying to cool not be return back into the evap. the evap. is what takes the water out of the air. just have the return air come from a diff sourse. so the evap. doesn't freeze up do to lack of air.

Thanks George but I'll be using peltier thermalcouple chips instead of a standard heat pump system.

joe

Joe, are you talking about a water cool system that cools computer or lab equipment

No, I wasn't planning on using water plates and pump. Simple is easier for this method, I'm just going to blow a fan across a peltier cooled heat sink mounted through the top of the tank.

joe

"...3. If you're using artificial lighting then use ventilation on the lights! This is a must if you're using any high output lighting (i.e. metal halide or high-pressure sodium) and is reccommended even if you're using flourescents ... just direct a fan to blow under the lights on the top of the terrarium. This will make a dramatic difference in the temperature in the terrarium. If you want to get the most value for your money then also direct the hot air out of a window ... this will ultimately reduce the ambient temperature around the terrarium...."

My highland terrarium is about 120cm x 60cm x85cm. I use a 70W high pressure sodium light and I have to HEAT(!!&#33
wink.gif
it during the days if no sun hits the terrarium. Temperature raises only about 2°C because of the 70W high pressure sodium light and this is placed directly upon the terrarium (with no glass betewenn the lamp and the plants).

Good high pressure lights do NOT (!!!!!&#33
wink.gif
produce more heat than flourescent lights if they have the same wattage. (where should the heat come from
confused.gif
)

Highland plants need cold nights but usually quite warm days and so heat is for me (here in Germany) absolutly no problem during _the day_

I have very big problems with cooling at night, because in summer ambient night time temperature in my room sometimes is more than 20°C. Evaporation cooling will drop the temperature not more than 1-2°C, an experiment with peltier elements was absolutly desastrous (temperature didn't drop more than 1°C but it consumes a lot of power).

My advice would be a cold room if possible. Heating during the day is _a lot_ easier than cooling during the night.

If you have to cool the terrarium I would highly recommend superb insulation.

Martin

Martin, the trick with peltier chips is to have an excessively large heat sink on both sides and large fans. They can cool quite wll, but it does take a bit of designing. Exactly what was your setup?

joe

Hi,

I DID use very large heat sinks and fast running fans on both sides of the peltier element to get the heat and coldness away (the heat away from the terrarium of coarse ;-) )

It didn't work. Maybe it is satisfieing with a smaller and better insulated terrarium than mine but you will still ahve the problem with water condensing at the cool side. Thsi is lowering humidity and also permanent dropping of ice-water isn't very good for the plants.

Martin

Loss of humidity is an issue with any type of artificial cooling system. Any time you have warm humid air flowing over a cold surface you will get condensation.

SO if you plan on using an air blown remote (outside the terrarium) peltier or standard compressed gas type refridgeration you should also plan on a humidifier system with humidistat control in the return line to the terrrarium. If the evaporator or peltier are within the terrarium itself it is less of an issue as any moisture will simply drip back into the bottom of the terrarium and you will get a more natural cycle of condensation/evaporation.

Lots of good ideas here but I would like to add more. Converting a chest freezer, refridgerator, or for a smaller scale a peltier cooled icechest. The hinged door/lid can be replaced by a piece of glass or plexiglass. The rest of the unit is very well insulated which will cut down on cooling expense dramatically.
Tony

Tony, excellent idea, I have already priced medium sized fridges and found them to cost around $120 at home depot. Good price large enough for most any collection. I'm yet to find one that I think would look good laying on its back, but I'm looking. Must explore all options before investing.

joe

I do however strongly recommend this method to others as it is very easy and cost effective in both initial purchase and overall energy cost.

I would contact Jeff at Plantswithattitude.com
He grows his ultrahighland plants in a converted chest style freezer. I am sure he would have some suggestions based on his experiences with this type of set up.
Tony

Back