What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 gal terrarium..

Hi. this will only take a moment i am starting a 30 gal terrarium and i would like to know what are the best not small plants i have some room?! but i need some that will look bigger than they are .And i would like any recommendtions on soil that would allow me to have a large asortment of carnivorous and none carnivorous plants i mean lets face it we cant find that many carnivorous plants for so much room i have been to well over 30 web sites looking.

ps i am sorry to be so demanding
confused.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If you are wanting to mix carnivorous and non-carnivorous plants you are probably going to need to put some of them in pots as the soils will mix and what  is good for one is bad for the other. As for there not being enough carnivorous plants available to fill it up, take a look at some of the forked leaf sundews, nepethes, pings that can easly be 4 inches across. Mix in some pigmy sundews in the front and one or two of the larger utrics and I think you could fill up that 30 gallons in no time. You can always add a "moat" or water section and grow a sub-affixed aquadic utric like U. gibba.

Keeping the plants in pots is a good idea. You can hide them or bury them but it makes treating and taking care of the plants alot easier.

Not quite sure what you mean on the 'cant find that many carnivorous plants for so much room' deal.. I could fill it with 1 Nepenthes. I do think you need to think carefully though about your growing temperature ranges and lighting levels etc so that you can make a list of plants that would be happy with their home. Then choose from your compiled list
Tony

Back