What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

terrarium question

ok lets say i was to create a cp terrarium which i am still thinking about doing. and i was only able to use well water or other type of water. i was told to put charcoal in the potting mix if i was to use well water, that it would take care of the minerals. is that so?

No it's not quite so.  It only reduces some of the minerals like lead, asbestos, and mercury and chemicals like chlorine.  I got these from a longer list on the box my water filter cartridge came in.  Charcoal in the potting mix wouldn't remove as much as my filter cartrige since the water wouldn't be flowing through the charcoal.

i have been using one 24" inch 15 watt life glo bulb from hagen for my 10 gallon sundew terrarium and they are thriving !!! i suggest this bulb for any sundew grower as it is very nice but pricey
smile.gif

ok so if would be best just to keep individual plants in a seperate pot

im growing mine in peat/perlite mixture in the terrarium

in a 10 gallon? how did you get the soil mixture moist? how many gallons of distilled water? how often do you water?

10 gallon aquariumi mixed the peat and perlite in the tank together.good hint for getting the peat wet is take both hands and get a bunch of the dried peat and push it under the water and squeeze.after than i removed the peat and perlite mixture and added gravel for drainage.then added the peat/perlite and made a hill and a slope... works fine..

be glad to answer any other questions.

how many gallons of distilled water did it take to wet the soil??

Back