What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homemade single drosera terrarium

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Just yesterday, I noticed that putting my D. adelae farther up under the overhang just isn't enough to keep blowing rain off of it. So, I figured that I would cover it with part of a clear plastic one liter soda bottle. I cut off the bottom six inches of it and figured I would use that. The idea of using it JUST to protect it from the rain eventually grew to the idea of using it all the time as a terrarium for it(with the exception of when it's in the sun). The plant is on the edge of a brick planter. The edge that it is sitting on is four inches wide, while the section of the bottle that I will cover the plant with is six inches wide, so the edges of it will hang over the edges of the planter, leaving space for air circulation and for bugs to enter.  

Will this work?

Thanks!
        FTG

It should work very well, provided the plant doesn't get too large, (and it can if well grown&#33
wink.gif
. If the leaves press flat against the plastic, there is a good chance the condensed water may affect them. As long as there is no direct sun you should be ok, but remember this is a woodland species generally preferring cool conditions and indirect light. In other words, don't bake it, and grow it wet and bright. It should really appreciate the higher humidity since this is one of the Drosera species that really needs it.

This is also good for the petiolaris Drosera when placed in full sun. This species loves the heat, and the mini terrariums quickly become very hot, which is just what the plants need.

Its best to use pots still, though. The plastic from soda bottles is not stabilized, and the UV makes it soon brittle.

Well, I'm leaving it in the pot
tounge.gif
The way I'm doing this is: the plant is STAYING IN THE POT, and the section of the soda bottle will be placed over it, upside-down! Understand? LOL
smile.gif
And when/if the plant gets too big, I'll... uhhhh... figure something else out!
smile.gif
And I'll remove the ''soda bottle terrarium'' when I put the plant in direct sun. Since the plant will only have the soda bottle terrarium over it when it is in the shade, it won't get too hot for the plant, will it?

Thanks,
       FTG

FTG,
If the plant gets too big....get a THREE liter soda bottle! Actually, you can get a platic pretzel jug, too. You can find REALLY big ones. Check out Costco or Sams Club or BJ's.
smile.gif

Ah yes... BJ's... Land of the Giant Stuff...

tounge.gif

I think the temps will be good as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight. Although the Petiolaris droserae would enjoy full sun, it would not be so for D. alelae or the other Queensland species.

FTG,
    Drosera Adelae does not like full sun, it likes to be in the shade!
biggrin.gif
The leaves burn easily...
and like tamlin said, you should put a petiolaris(wooly) sundew into that suda bottle and put it in full sun! just poke a small hole in the top to let some hot air out...

It doesn't??? Well, this adelae has been doing wonderful with a few hours of full sun a day(not with the thing over it, of course)! What's with that???

Cut the bottom of the bottle off instead. Then you can unscrew the cap to let heat out or a little rain in.

Well, I would do that, but the rain washes off all the dew...

WHOA!!! The thing's working wonders for the plant!!! It's raining right now, and it's keeping the rain off, which I knew it would, duh, but also, now that the plant is in so much more humidity, it's got A WHOLE LOTTA DEW ON IT!!!

YAY!
FTG

Back