What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland tank

My Lowland tank was doing great until I placed a new orchid and 2 Bromiliads in. I do not know if it had anything to do with it, but after a couple days more of everything being fine I found that my small N. Coccinea cutting and the new orchid had leaf rot. The Coccinea had gone from very healthy to dead overnight. As I stated, it was a cutting and had not yet developed root so that may have assisted in its rapid demise. The Orchid is still alive. I cut away the rot and used a plant safe fungicide/pest control. It has not speard further, but the orchid still does not look well. I also had to remove leaves from a N. Gracilis, but it has a lot of new growth.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Hmm wonder if it started with the N. coccinea cutting. Unlikely it got infected with something and the next day was totally diseased. Most likely got some disease through the cut end and worked it's way up the cutting. What kind of orchid is it? Fungicide should help. Can you let in a little fresh air too without overly stressing the plants? That might help to curb the spread also.

Tony

I have started adding a little fresh air, but the humidty drops immediately and drastically. I do have a fan running. The fan has a heater that I was using, but I have stopped the extra heat for now and just left the air moving. The rot seems to have stopped it spread, but the two affected plants, a Gracilis as well, still look ill and tired. I suppose it will be a while before they look better. The only other sign that anything is wrong in the tank is that my Phal Orchid lost its flowers. They did not rot. They shirveled a little and feel off. This may be a natural process because it is growing nice new leaves.

I will look up what the orchid with rot is and get back.

that's what happened to my clipeata! one day it was fine, then the next day it is covered in fungus, then dead
sad.gif

Back