What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunlight

R

rockrboy13

Hi, I got 1 of three gallon terrariums they sell here and I have 2 green dragon VFT's 2 common VFT's and 2 dente VFT's. I wanted to know if the plants would need full sunlight ( by a window or something. I also wanted to know how much water the plants would need. And is it necessary to put on a plastic cover on top of the terrarium.

Thanx Alot
smile.gif
alien.gif

You shouldn't need to cover the top.  In fact, I'd advise against it.  Keeping a level of air movement will help prevent fungus.  I have the 3 gallon and humidity stays at 80% or so in an air-conditioned house just from evaporation from the soil. That's why the terrariums are bowl shaped (I think): so that the openning is small compared to the internal area allowing less humidity to escape.

Your plants don't NEED full sunlight, but I think VFTs are supposed to get something like 16 hours/day of direct sunlight (someone else can confirm for me).  Don't forget to slowly acclimate them if they were shipped in (1 hour of sun the first day, 2 hours the next, etc). That will prevent them from going into shock and being burned. If your leaves start to look yellow or shrivelled at all I'd take them out of the sun for the day.

You may also want to look into just getting a desk lamp or something and a "daylight" CFL.  It's not quite as good as sunlight, but it'll keep the plants healthy enough and you won't have to worry about finding a place for them.  Email me for details on that, it cost me around $18 and is fine for our little 3 gal terrariums.

As for water, I've had it explained that the soil should be wet enough that if you pick it up and squeeze it, a little water should run down your finger.  VFTs like it very wet.  Try to keep it somewhat soggy, but if you see standing water I'd think that is too much.

Hope this helps.  Hopefully some of the experts around here can confirm everything for you, but this should get you started.  Best of luck with the new plants.
smile.gif

Most of the answers to your VFT questions can be found here:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

16 hours is maybe just a little more than they need. Try to mimic natural sunlight as best you can, ie: as the days get shorter, shorten the time you leave your light on. This will eventually stimulate dormancy which is required for VFTs.
Good luck with your plants
Steve

Back