What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about those portable greenhouses.

Hello,

So, those 3- and 4-tier portable greenhouses, the cheap $40 ones that you can get on ebay or the warehouse stores, I'm wondering how worthwhile they are. I've never used one, but it seems to me they wouldn't provide a whole lot of temperature protection. For example, in winter, wouldn't they get just as cold at night as the ambient temperature? I'm sure they would warm up more during the day, but it seems they wouldn't have any effect overnight, would they?

Capslock

Hi Capslock.

No those greenhouses don't provide very much temp. protection. Personally i got one to protect my Cps from early frosts, animals and wind. However, they won't protect in very high winds unless you stiffen the frame up and secure it to the ground. I didn't stiffen mine up and a few weeks ago a strong storm toppled the top of greenhouse. So after that i bought a larger 6 x 4 x 6.5 ft greenhouse. It has very long spike anchors to secure the greenhouse to the ground. This size of greenhouse could be heated at night in the winter if you live in warmer climate. I got mine for $50 plus s/h, so it costs about the same as the smaller tiered greenhouses.

-buckeye

I use a 6x4 polythene 'versatile greenhouse' (not a shelved grow grow 'booth'. It's a lot more sturdy than you would think and survived a 60mph thunderstorm no problems. It's on grass and pegged into the ground as well as being tied with rope to the four corner slabs of the paving that makes up the floor. The temperature is about 2C above the outside temperature when it's cloudy or dark.
What CP's are you growing? Sarras and VFTs are very frost resistant. Remember that even a glass greenhouse doesn't provide complete frost protection.

955285.jpg

My new greenhouse is almost the same as yours, except the door flap is on the 6ft. side rather than the 4ft side.

199006_lg.jpg

I agree these greenhouses are very sturdy.  I grow sarrs, vfts and  temperate sundews.  When you say frost resistant do you mean frost doesn't damage the leaves?  I've never left my plants outside when it frosts so i've never seen what happens. Thanks.

-buckeye

Back