What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden terrarium

What type of white paint would I use for a wooden terrarium in which 3 of the sides would be wood. The front would be plexi, and I am not sure about the top yet, probably real glass or plexi.

The terrarium will be quite large, so wood is the cheapest matterial (I work for a construction company READ: wood=free)

I am thinking just a flat white exterior paint, but I'm not really sure. BTW, this terrarium will be for neps only being the season it is. I'll probably build another towards the spring for Sarrs.

Casper

I'm no expert here, but you would probably want something that would seal the wood from getting all warped and moldy from the moisture. Maybe some laquer or the vinyl paint? Also, are you going to have some kind of tray system in the terrarium? Having paint in contact with plants might not work so well.

Here's a crazy idea - could you get some thicker wood, put some half-drilled holes in it, and stuff it with live spag or orchids/cps?
tounge.gif

I work for a construction company too. Why don't you use a water proof stain or something like that. Like the stains on decks.

I planned on wheather coating the wood, but they suggest the final coat be a white because it reflects light. Save me from having to put mirros or mylar in it.

Casper

Hi. Your terrarium sounds pretty cool. I've seen paint made especially for bathrooms. If this paint could stand up to shower steam and stuff maybe it would work for a terrarium. Just a thought.

-buckeye

What about priming it to seal it, then using "Epoxy" or "Appliance" spray paint? I know that stuff is really tough and can be washed and scrubbed repeatedly if need be.

WildBill

Im not really worried about sealing it, there are multiple ways to do that. I was wondering if there was a certain paint that maximized the "reflectivity" of it for the final coat.

I didn't think about appliance paint, thats not a bad idea.

Casper

The also make a silver paint. I am basically doing the same thing with a shelf unit.

Greetings-
A ultra-white enamel would work nice at reflecting light. You could also attach a mirror to the back and/or sides which would reflect light and make it look like you have more plants
wink.gif

Brian

Back