What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Types of lights?

Hi! I just got back from my friend's lighting store, and there are so many different types of light bulbs...
I was mainly looking at the flourescent light bulbs, because I hear most people use those, but I read in the store that halogen uses very little energy, and is very close to natural sunlight?
And are incandescents bad? or those energysaver bulbs which are really bright and expensive but and last very long?

Oh, and of the flourescents, there were cool, warm, and day lights? I really had no idea, so I didn't buy anything yet...
I tried to look online for help and I heard cool and warm bulbs reach the closest to natural daylight, but I wanted to make sure before I buy them for my terrarium. I want to get a light for my tank, which I think is about ~2ft by 1ft by 1.5ft
All help is much appreciated!

I use a combination of cool and warm flourescent light bulbs on my plants. I haven't tried the day lights. I have used the grow lights, but found they tend to get expensive over time when having to replace them.

Avoid halogen lights, they produce the most heat of the three types bulbs you mentioned. They will burn you if you touch them. They also can cause a fire if combustables get too near. They will also burn or cook your plants.

I would agree fluorescent is your best bet for a small set up.
Most people use a combination of cool white with an occasional warm white. The warm white adds a little red to the spectrum. They do need to be replaced fairly often (every 6 months or so) and need to be pretty close to the plants but they don't use alot of energy or produce alot of heat.
T

what would be the best combo of lighting for a 5 gallon sundew terrarium? cool white and warm white? any suggestions???

Back