What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland tank

oops, I should add that this is a pipe wire. Its main job is to keep pipes from freezing. It actually does not appear to get too hot. You can easily hold it when its plugged in, but it does not allow for any form of freezing and the wire remains on when the lights are out. I have them on differant circuits as a failsafe. It is easily accomplished and my plants will not freeze, but rather be nice and warm. The circuit in the room runs the pool and yard plugs which often trip the circuit. I start the pool early so it is warm by the end of April. I am one that rather be safe than sorry.

Ahh but,

One good bit of news is I spoke to my husband just now about this and he informed me that there is a hidden vent in the room. It is still not insulated, but will be warmer now and nothing should freeze anyway. You think he might have mentioned it since I start my seeds in there every spring. Maybe I should have asked. I use this room because the kids have no use to be in it and we have large shelf units attached to the walls on all the sides. I use it for storage of my homemade wines and ales
tounge.gif
During the winter it still may get too cool so I will continue to use the wire just in case.
If anyone comes through stop and get some wine
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Ive used a propagation mat many with great success.
If that doesnt work I suggest a ceramic heating element, the type used to provide heat for reptiles.

Hey I actually have two of those that are not in use. I did not even think about them. I think I will try them over the coil. I checked this morning and my humidity has dropped of even though I have a humidifier going, but it is a little cool in there(cool humidifier). I'll try one of the rocks now.

I meant the type of element you screw into a standard incandescent light socket.
I wouldnt advise submerging a hot-rock.
A submersible aquarium heater submerged in a jar pf water of appropriate size would also work well, youd just have to stay on top of the water level in the jar.
wink.gif

Okay. Mt son's hamster escape into the closet and eat the plastic coating on the cord anyway. Between the dogs, fish, birds, rabbit, rat,and hamster we have a little zoo going.

Back