What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tempeture of terrarium

i just got a terrarium and put a bunch of plants in it, it has a incandescent light so it's way hotter that a flourescent.  anyways it's almost 90 degrees in there.  Is that okay for my plants?
(i got a n. tobaica, sarr. Judith Hindle, a vft, a d. adelae, some d. capensis, and a p. primuliflora in there)

Why not just get a compact fluorescent? It will save you a lot of problems! Those temps are going to cause problems come summertime, if not sooner.

Some of those plants need dormancy.  I don't recommend keeping VFT and Sarr indoors over winter unless you have some special cooling system, otherwise they will suffer.  I purchased a fluorecent 4' light strip at Fred Meyer for under $10 recently.  That houses 2x 40w light bulbs that will give you greater efficiency and better light spectrum, not to mention less heat.  

-Homer

Incandescent light does not have the correct spectrum for good plant growth, even if it is marketed as a plant light. The temperature range you quote is way too high as well.

Back