What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lights On 24 hours a day?

i just planted a bunch of seeds under my growlights. I have heard that if you leave them on 24/7 they will germinate faster is this true? there are no plants under the lights just seeds.

Thanks
Mike

I've heard this before as well. I think the idea comes from the fact that the soil stays warm from the lights being on and this is what aids in the seeds germinating. If you don't have a seedling heating mat (like a low temp heating pad for plants) then I'd say go ahead it may make them germinate faster for this to work (heat the soil) you'll need to have the lights within inches of the top of the pots or your plastic Jiffy greenhouse (when I use Jiffys I just lay a tube over the top) or whatever you've planted the seeds in. Be sure to check everyday for seed germination because once those tender seedlings come up lights that close will make em crispy real fast as soon as they start coming up move those lights farther away.

good luck!

Back