What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

humidifier question

schloaty

Staff member
Hi Guys,
I have a recently constructed grow chamber, and I was wondering if a warm-mist humidifier is a good investment. I am growing lowlands in the chamber, and I am having some difficulty maintaining a warm temp at night.

How warm is the mist?

TIA
-Dave

You mean one of those old fashioned humidifiers which boils water and makes warm steam? I don't know that I'd use one of those because it might be too hot as you can burn your hand if you put it very close to the humidifiers output and plants would possibly burn too.I use a vicks ultrasonic humidifier which makes a fog but it does not heat up.

Is your enclsoure waterproof on the bottom? If you can put 1" of water in the bottom then lay a few pieces of 2" PVC pipe and sheet of eggcrate from home depot ontop of the pipe to make a false bottom (the plants sit on eggcrate 1" above the water) you will have more than enough humidity without a humidifier. I do this in all my terrariums with waterproof bottoms.

A safe way to warm your grow chamber to acceptable levels would be to buy a seedling heat mat and place it under the tank/enclosure. you can get these from garden/flower places like Bachmanns where they well soils and Jiffy seedling greenhouses. I think seedling heat mats only cost about $15 - $30 depending upon size.
Also try and locate the warmest room in your house. Where my dining room table used to be was the hottest part of the house-so that's where the lowland tank is now, staying 75-85*F year round with no help from devices.

Good luck!

Swords,
Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if it's the kind that actually spits out steam. The title is "warm" mist humidifier, so I didn't think it would be that hot.
The bottom of my grow chamber isn't waterproof, I just currently have a couple of pie pans filled with water in there. I was hoping that would provide enough moisture, but I don't think it is.
As far as moving it to the warmest room in the house, good luck! My wife is the boss of every room accept the one they're currently in (and the basement, which is cold anyway). She won't stand for mess in her rooms!!
wow.gif
tounge.gif

Well, off for some more investigating...

The warm mist would be ok for lowlands. I much more prefer an Ultrasonic humidifier though. It makes a little heat and lots of mist. My choice for my growchamber I have lowlands in it and they are fine. The low has been 69 so far. But since yours is in your basement it may be a better choice ( the warm mist). Good luck!

I had check this warm-mist humidifier and the stem is in temp. of 51 C and even higher which mean it's too hot (if you had lamps that mean more heat.
there is a cold water humidifier that might be good but the best way is to use the ultrasonic humidifier (fogger).
Arie

thanks everyone for the input (you too, CN).

Back