What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Hyacinth Substitues

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
Water hyacinths are my favorite flowering water plant, and I had been hoping to maybe build my container bog around them, unfortuntely I can't, they aren't legal here.

Anyone know of a similar plant? Or if not similar something that would be an equally interesting background focal point?

T.I.A.

Mae

Hi,

I don't think there's too many options left if you want the same sort of look. There's always water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes), but I find it not particularly attractive. Could be interesting having reptiles or amphibians walking all over it though. :)

Water Chestnut (Trapa natans, or closely related T. maximowiczii) could form an interesting visual display, somewhat reminiscent of water hyacinth. Apparently the plant should actually be planted under water, but it will quickly form floating leaves that protrude from the water.

FWIW, I believe there are 2 different species of water hyacinth that are sold. I only mention this in case the second one is legal in your area, though I would be surprised if it were.

Take care!

Chris F.

there are many plants that have a very nice flower but it all depends on what effect you are looking for

any way if anyone has questions I would love to help

well I will to the best of my abillitys just pm me

Kyle.W

GRRRRRRR!!!

It seems every plant I find appealing is illegal here (south florida) looks like I am going to have to go native species only... anyone have any thoughts on native florida bog plants?

Go ahead and get some anyways. Just make sure they don't spread to other areas where they're not suppose to be. Whose gonna know? I won't tell if you won't
wink.gif

hey maehem

you can try some pickerel weed. it isnt a floating plant. it has arrow shaped leaves and has flowers like a water hyacinth. theyre pretty cool.

I think they are illegal in Arizona as well . I have them anyways in my man made 6 by 7 feet pond . The local place that sells water plants grows and sells them. In the winter time most die last winter I lost all but 1 . Over the summer that one turned into lots now I have them all over. The flowers look so nice for a so called "Water weed" .

_-West-_

Back