What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium questions

hey, I got a question I got a terrarium 1 and a half years ago for x-mas and know I got another one only this one is a 30-35gallon fish tank and I got 2 florisint lights what do I put on top of the fish tank so the flourisint light waves can go throw soo then they will hit the plants because flourisnt lights can go throw plast glass what else should I use to put on top of the tank so the flourist would work for the cps that I have.

What?
confused.gif

Phil Traper2 you need some serious work on your grammar, punctuation and spelling! The spelling at least you could take some time to look up words your unsure of how to spell.

Translation (as best I can figure and trying not to edit it too badly):

Hey I got a question. I got a terrarium 1 and a half years ago for x-mas. Now I got another one, only this one is a 30-35 gallon fish tank. I also have 2 fluorescent lights. What do I put on top of the fish tank so the fluorescent light waves can go through and hit the plants? (not sure about this last part)
Fluorescent light can go through plastic and glass, is there something else I should use besides this on top of the tank that would work for the cps that I have?

I would suggest some plate glass or a piece of plexiglass/acrylic. The glass is cheaper and less likely to sag but also heavier, breakable and if the edges are not smoothed, potentially a great way to cut your fingers. It might even work to just use some plastic food wrap over the top to hold humidity in.
Tony

If you have a standard sized fish tank (measure the top length and width) you can find an "All Glass" a lid made of two panes of glass and a rubber hinge that attaches the two panes (which have rounded corners and are not sharp like a pane of glass you could get at a hardware store). Almost any pet store which sells fish suplies will sell these, just tell the store exactly how long and wide it is and they will be able to help you.
They only run about $15 and the hinge in the middle is convenient so that you don't have to remove the whole lid when you water or mist the tank or feed the plants. On the other hand, as Tony pointed out glass lids are heavier and tragedies can occur when you have taken the lid off completely and are replacing it if it falls in on your plants it will definately harm them due to it's weight. I know because cos I decapitated a Nepenthes this way but the glass with the hinge is convenient and even after the accident I continued to use them when I was growing Neps in that tank.

Back