What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat, humidity, and other questions

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I have set up a 10 gallon tank for my sundews. I have 2 - 15 watt fluorescent lights on top the tank, with glass covering all but about a 3" or 4" opening the lenght of the tank.The bottom of the tank I have pebbles about 2" high and water about to the top of the pebbles. The temp and humidity at night are good, but during the day the sun shines on the tank for a while and raises the temperature and drops the humidity. I was wondering if I heated the water at the bottom of the tank, to say 72°F, and placing a fan on top the tank, blowing out to remove the heat, would I help to keep the tanks temperature raising to much and increasing my humditiy during the day?
Or I've been looking into setting up a 3 gallon tank with a heater to 72°F and have a fan push this air into my 10 gallon tank like homer did in his Custom Ventilation System post. I've been thinking of how to get the duct into the tank. It's only a 10 gallon with 2 lights which about cover all the top, so I do not have much room at all.
Any other suggestions for temp and humidity control?

Just wanted to add. I believe I would only run the fan during the daytime.

Are the plants showing signs of stress when the tank warms up and the humidity drops or they look great and grow fine but your worried because some gage is telling you the humidity is dropping?

If there is indeed a problem with the plants because of the excess heat and the lower daytime humidity. I don't think you will be able to increase humidity significantly while trying to vent out excess heat unless you used something like an ultrasonic humidifier. Evaporation off a small tank of water is not that rapid unless you warmed it up a significant amount. Which may in fact cause more problems with added warmth. Your best bet is to be sure your artificial lighting is sufficient and block the hot rays of the sun.
Tony

Back