What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing plants with LED

Anyone tried to grow CPs with LEDs (light-emitting diodes)?  I would like to investigate this possibility as I imagine one could control the PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) with more precision.  Specifically, I am looking into the possibility of inducing flowering on my CPs.  Perhaps at the red spectrum (ca. 680 - 700 nm)?

I know of one person that grows a Cephalotus f. using the super bright LEDs. Unfortunalty, he doesn't read email from people he doesn't know as it is removed via a filter. I believe the setup uses 20 LEDs with a couple of Red LEDs.

I wonder what is the set up for this person's lights.  I have been reading how people growing one particular herb, that is use to create happiness, with batteries of LEDs and wonder if it would work for CPs.  Since LED gives out less heat, this will solve my overheating problems.
laugh.gif

What type of lighting are you using now? I have no heating problems with fluorescents.

If you want a lot of longer wavelength light, you could try some warm whites. Something around 2700K will have lots of red.

This topic is giving me a bit of deja vu from the listserv. Hmm...
wink.gif

My fluorescent lights are giving off too much heat as I live in the tropics.  Any attempt to reduce heat would be helpful.  I will attempt to find some warm lights at 2700K once I get some spare cash to burn.
laugh.gif

Perhaps it would be more efficient to look into ways of cooling rather than cutting heat. I dont know what it will cost to run a battery of LEDs vs a few flourescents and a cooling system, but somehow I suspect that the hassle of the changover will outweigh any minor benefits gained. Have you looked into any energy saving cooling systems yet? A small swamp cooler or windowsill a/c and a cheap humidifier will probably handle the job and long term may save you a few dollars.

Steve

I already have a small mist-maker in my terrarium. This little equipment is very important to me because it keeps the tank under 35 degrees celcius! I thought cooling the tank might be more expensive in cost, not to mention that the electric bill will kill me.
sad.gif

Are the fluorescent bulbs inside the terrrarium or outside?

Fluorescent light doesn't have much infrared but the bulbs can be warm particularly the compact fluorescent.  Maybe a small fan pointed at the bulbs to keep them cooler?  A small mist maker inside the terrarium isn't going to add cooling.  Don't those small ultrasonic disks actually get kinda warm?

Last question.. what are you trying to grow?  Your best bet would be to pick plants that can manage the heat and then you won't have to worry about it
cool.gif

Tony

Since your in the tropical regions guqin why not grow the plants out fo the tank?? Or are you in an arid tropical region where there isn't much RH at all?

My outdoor growing area experience lots of wind throughout the day and the humidity drops quite low. I once measured 45% humidity, this at the equator surrounded by the sea! And the local newspaper mentioned that the average humidity here is 85%. Sheesh...
rock.gif

In addition, the outdoor area does not get enough light. At night, the corridor lights probably inhibit flowering because the plants do not get a dark period to rest. I cannot switch off the corridor lights because it is public property.

So, all my most precious plants are in a terrarium in my room. At night, I switch on the air-con for a few hours. With the AC, the humidity drops and that is where the mist-maker comes to the rescue. The lights are suspended over a fish tank and shines directly over the plants.

Why not grow only tropical plants? Well, I always like to grow challenging plants.
biggrin.gif

Well you're certainly enjoying this challenge then!
biggrin.gif

I would have a fan blowing the mist around myself, this would create a small evaporative effect. Almost exahust the tank itself with the misters going. This would boost RH and lower the ambient tank temp a little if your lucky. Also mist with chilled water perhaps?

Back