What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

homemade greenhouse how to

Anybody here build a greenhouse from pvc pipe and greenhouse film?I've seen kits on the net where you can buy the diff fittings,and the greenhouse film is pretty cheap.Thanks for any information.

Jerry

I tryed this before 2 times and i had it down great! but.. in the winter the rain just pushed its way and riped some on the top off. I think if u have a little bit more money to spend i would try Lowes! and have them order u a green house they have nice little one's there for order! good luck
smile.gif
E.C

Hey Jerry. I was just looking on internet on how to build one these a few days ago. I found some plans at ACF Greenhouses. I thought about building one since the film and pvc pipe seemed fairly cheap. But i changed my mind after i saw the price for the fittings. The 3 way connectors were like $3 a piece and the pvc clamps were like $1.50 each. So the fittings to build a 5 ft. x 4 ft. x 4 ft coldframe would cost $60. Then i would have to buy pipe and film. I figured it was too much for this small of coldframe. Where did you find kits at on the internet?? Maybe those would be cheaper. Thanks.

-buckeye

Hi buckeye,Thats the same site I was looking at,the ACF Greenhouse site.I'm planning on an 8'x10' or 8' x 12' greenhouse some time in the spring/summer.What were you going to grow in a 5'x4'x4' cold frame?I have alot of VFTs and buying more Sarrs so I'm going to need a place for them in the winter.I have about 30 cps outside(vfts,sarrs),150-200 inside(neps,sundew,butterworts,vft seedlings,cobra lily seedlings,sarr seedlings.......)  

Jerry

I built one two years ago and it's still up. It held up with about 8in of snow last winter and about 65 mph winds this summer with no damage.

Hi Ozzy,how big is it?HxDxW?

Jerry

I think it's 8 x 10 feet

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What were you going to grow in a 5'x4'x4' cold frame?

I have a small in ground bog and i wanted to build a coldframe to go over it.  Right now i have a 6'x4' coldframe greenhouse over it that i bought this past summer.  It has a vinyl cover that now has a large tear where the vinyl tore from one of nylon seams. It seems to get bigger and bigger whenever it's windy out.  I tried epoxying it back onto the nylon but it just started tearing again.  Also several other tears have started in other places.  I guess vinyl just doesn't hold up very well.  So it thought i would try building my own coldframe.  I went back ACF and looked at the plans for a hoop greenhouse.  I might try scaling down those plans to make a small hoop coldframe.

-buckeye

I have a 9x8x6 that I built a year ago out of pvc and 6mil poly covering. So far it has done well against the weather in my basement. If you drop by home depot they sell the fitting in a large bag for a lot less than single fittings. Make the pvc clamps out of larger diameter pvc.

joe

Back