What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all, I need some ideas of where to get, and what to get for lighting for my (cross your fingers) "new" 55 gal aquarium for my cps. I am basically running out of room and my 30 gal is full of plants and I want to get some of them out of there, you know, keep the neps together, etc. Basically, I want to maximize the amount of space I have (I was thinking of running a gro light onto a shelf supported by four legs, (like a table) and using the space underneath it as well as on top of the "table". I have sufficient light for the 30 gal tank, but I need some suggestions on the 55. I have n. alata, n. ventricosa, n. sanguinea, d. capensis, d. spatulata, parrot plant(don't even want to try to spell that one), 2 pings, and a few others I am forgetting. So, throw your ideas my way, I found this aquarium for a steal at $50...

You can put aluminum around sides to keep the lighting in. Plus if you want more light you could put sand in the 55 gal aquarium. The only problem is that when the neps grow they will need more space. So maybe use plastic containers.

Hope that helps,
Travis

Just moving this to the terrarium forum where you might get more response from other tank/terrarium users.
smile.gif

*POOF*

How long is the aquarium? I think mine is the same size, at about 36" accross. I use four 24" fluorescent tubes, and get good results. I'm growing N. albomarginata, N. x trichocarpa, N. x Holland, D. venusta, D. adelae, and P. moranensis in it, and all are looking pretty good. I've found 36" tubes hard to find, and the fixtures even harder, and 48" would be lighting the room, not the tank. Another alternative is to use one or even two of the new Fluorex compact fluorescent floodlight fixtures. I found them at Home Depot for 30 bucks a pop, and they're pretty bright.

I use mylar taped to three sides of the tank, and this makes it MUCH brighter, and I highly recommend it. Use foil if you don't have any mylar. I bought a huge roll of mylar for 25 bucks a while back, and use it in all my grow areas. It really makes a big difference.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Dec. 02 2003,6:23)]How long is the aquarium?
Standard 55 gallon is 48" wide, heights can vary between 18 and 21 inch depending on manufacturer, and standard depth (front to back) is 14.   Many tanks marketed as 55 gallon in stores are actually only 45 gallon. To find the volume of your tank the formula is: L x H x W / 231

Steve

thanks for all the advice. where do you get mylar, and what exactly is it? The tank is as long as a 14 cu ft freezer, how do I know? it is sitting on top of it right now. I need to clean it because is smells like nasty old fish. That set up you guys were talking about, I think I have seen them, they look like a hooded light right? (sorta like a lamp shade or shop light)

No, the fluorex compact fluorescent fixture is a square fixture, about 8 inches by 14 inches (guess). They are made to be mounted on an eave or wall, but I just attach it to the top rack of my wire shelves.

Mylar is a reflective film that's a lot like foil, but does not wrinkle. I think it's a little better at reflecting light, too. I got it at a local plant shop, so I can't help you there, but I don't think it's too hard to find.

Capslock

I grow mainly Utricularia and Drosera in my terraria. I have found that by laying the tank on its side so the top faces me, I get a lot more floor space, and the lights are closer to the plants. I have easy access, and the lights can then sit on the top of the terrarium without having to be moved every time I want in. I have vinyl sheets covering the opening held in place by magnets attached to the shop lights. The only drawback is when the plants flower, the scapes press against the top, but it's worth it for me to have the added space and close proximity to the lights.

tamilin, very good idea, thanks, I'll give it some thought as soon as it is warm enough (and that white stuff is gone, snow) to clean the tank...

Tamlin your setup is nearly identicle to mine
except I leave half of the front of the tank open to encourage air movement, of couse ive got a humidifier going right next to everything.
Im running 160 watts over a 40 long. Just two shoplights and four tubes I picked up from home depot.

Capslock,

Where did you get the fluorex compact fluorescent fixture?  I've been looking for a compact fluorescent option in my setup, and what you stated sounds about right for one of my tanks.  What kind of compact fluorescent bulbs (lumen, watts, etc) can you place in that fixture??  
wink.gif

thanks!

-Homer

well, I did as tamlin described and layed the tank on it's side. I have easier access to it and now I have foil on the sides (I am not able to get out and find mylar yet) and four 48" grolux bulbs on top. I am getting "OK" results so far. I overwatered my one nep and the other is just at a standstill. I think it got overwatered as well. My third nep is doing really well though. All other plants are adapting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Dec. 28 2003,19:35)]Capslock,

Where did you get the fluorex compact fluorescent fixture?  I've been looking for a compact fluorescent option in my setup, and what you stated sounds about right for one of my tanks.  What kind of compact fluorescent bulbs (lumen, watts, etc) can you place in that fixture??  
wink.gif

thanks!

-Homer
You can buy the fluorex compact fluorescent lights online (the online store is working at long last) from lights of america at:

lights of america

Back