What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HID Lights

hey guys,
My plants have decided they need more light. My greenhouse is in relative shade and probably only gets an hour of direct sun. My Neps seem to be okay but my Mexican Pings and Drosera could use a little more. I've decided on getting a HID Light, Sodium or something similar. I plan on hanging the fixture about 3-4 feet from the bench. My question is what is the amount of wattage I would need just to add some more light? Should I get 200w,400w,or 1000w? What kind of light fixture? I have ruled out the flourescent as they are a little too junky and not enough light.

Swords I could use your expertice here!
laugh.gif

Thanks for any help

Mike

I use 1000 watts combination HPS and 400 watts MH for a full spectrum. It provides light to a 6x6 foot area very well. I could probably get a larger lit area, but this seems to be the best intensity for my needs. Plants grow better and faster with this combo than under flourescents, and are more typical in form, but less so in color than is produced with the higher UV index of grow tubes. Sunlight Supply Co. manugfactures the unit I use, and provide a good warantee. I don't know how a straight MH would compare, but as far as wattage goes, the greater area you want to light, the higher the wattage will need to be. Expect a significant burst of health and growth from your plants and a also significant increase in your power bill! I use the higher MH as there is UV "help " from spill off from the 30 flourescents that I also run. The lights EAT humidity and generate quite a bit heat, but if you have a humid GH this might not be an issue. You must be very careful that not a drop of water touches the bulbs, or they will shatter. Bulbs MUST be replaced yearly, even if still functional or the ballast may be damaged. Don't know if this helps much, but there you are!

MORE POWER. I use 1000W MH. I prefer the MH spectrum over the HPS because of the color (looks good for viewing)and the higher kelvin rating causes the plants to grow in a more compact form, where HPS will tend to encourage wider more wavy leaves. This is for most foliage type plants in general, but every plant is different. No more flickering bulbs and worring about light levels, just replace the bulb once a year and you're good. I recommend something like the economical Maximizer systems that the hydroponics suppliers sell. No need to get fancy. If you only want one big bulb, get a 1000W MH. If you can afford one of those fancy split systems like tamlin then go with the MH/HPS. But you will want the big one, it isn't much more expensive.

joe

Tamlin, do you have to order from another site? I don't see any prices on Sunlight Supply's website.. I assume I have to find a retailer...
I am looking at www.sunlightsupply.com, is that the same company?

I'd also like to mention that you can get MH bulbs that have the same spectrum as Tamlin's twin system. The only bulb I can think of off the top of my head is Argosun but I know there are at least a few others.

joe

Alright thanks all for your input. I have made my decision.

I have ordered a split system 400w MH and 400w HPS. It doesn't come with a glass shield or anything. I'm worried about the one drop of water LOL. Anything I can use to cover the reflector to keep it from shattering?

How far away should I place this from the plants? It is 800w total.
Cant wait to try it out!

Thanks,
Mike

I have mine approx. 3 foot away from the plants I most want to cover, but even the plants in the corners of my room benefit from it. Remember to add humidity if you don't have very humid conditions!

I almost feel embarrassed to give this advise but....

Go to any Borders and look in the gardening section for the Marajuana growing books. There is a tun of good info on lighting systems. Of course you may get strange looks from passerbys when they see what you are reading. Just make sure you don't get tempted! Stick to the CPs they're much cooler. They also have great advise for grow rooms as well but are a bit over the top with CO2 generators and such.

Thanks you guys for the advice. I received my light today. I love it! I only have one problem. Now Im going to have to get an electrician out to get more power for the greenhouses. I guess I can't run 6 flourescents, 3 heaters, 1 humidifier, and the HID light. Well as soon as I can get that fixed Ill be good to go. I will post some pics up soon!

Thanks again
Mike

One suggestion to you. If your lights are multi-tap, meaning that you can wire them to different voltages, you may want to go with the higher voltage. If you do that you may not need to get more power to your greenhouse because the higher the voltage you use the less amps you use. If you use less amps you may have enough juice in your greenhouse already. If you have any questions about this just ask, I'll be glad to help.

Do they run 240V lines out to greenhouses normally?

Do you know if the main line going to the greenhouse is 2 wire and a ground or 3 wire and a ground? If it is 3 plus a ground then it's 240v.

T

Also list the color and size of the wire.

Back