What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.CP's that will survive in Ohio for bog.

I have a lot of left over liner from my koi pond venture and I am thinking about making a little miny bog to keep some carnivorous plants outside year round. So far I only know of two species of of CP's I can keep outside year round. S. Purpurea and Drosera rotundifolia. I am wondering if anyone knows of any other low maintenence cp's I can keep out side. I know Darlingtonia Californicus can survive winters with extended freezes so I was wondering if they would possibly be able to survive in my area? Thanks for the help

Drosera anglica (temperate form), D. filiformis var filiformis, D. filiformis var. tracyi,  D. intermedia (temperate), D. linearis, D.rotundifolia should be no problem

Possible survivors: D. arcturi, D. stenopetala, D. uniflora, D. pygmaea (New Zealand Form)

Remotely possible: D. spatulata New Zealand forms, D. binata, D. capensis

Some of the European temperate Pinguicula might make it: P. vulgaris, P. grandiflora, P. villosa, P. longifolia, P. macrocerus

The Sarracenia species would probably survive with a good layer of mulch, as would Dionaea muscipula.

Utricularia macrorhiza, U. intermedia for sure.

These come to mind.  Hope this helps.

I have a bog in Ohio. This is my first year of keeping any plants outside. I have alot of plants in it that are from warmer climates but I'm going to experiment and see what survives.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I am wondering if anyone knows of any other low maintenence cp's I can keep out side.
The question is, when you say low maintenance, how low do you mean? If you want plants that you can just plant and forget, I'd go with only the very hardy plants.
If you want to do a little more work and cover the bog with mulch then there are alot of cp's that you can add to your bog. That's really all I did this winter was cover my bog with pine straw. I can't remember every plant I have in the bog but off the top of my head I have lots of D.muscipula.

D.californica

S.flava, S.rubra, S.purpurea ssp purpurea and venosa,S.minor, S. oreophila S.Leucophylla S. hybrids,

D.capensis, D.filiformis, D.intermedia, D.spatulata

And some bladder worts.
I have alot more in it but I can think of them right now. I'll remember in the spring if they survive.
One more question that I have is where do you live in Ohio? Ohio has very different climates through out the state. That may also effect which plants you can keep outside.
If you cover your bog with mulch, I would suggest that you use pine straw. It's the only thing I'd use. I know that it may be hard to find in ohio but if you're close enough to me I know a good supplier.

[Please note that I said this is my first year of having growing any plants outside in Ohio. This is an experiment that I'm doing and I have no proof that any of the plants I mentioned will survive the winter. I'll be able to give you that info in the spring. I, in no way suggest that you try to grow any of the plants I mentioned outside.]

Native plants or those native near by are the easiest to maintain outside.  Your lucky, you have a good number of natives to choose from
smile.gif

Common Butterwort - Pinguicula vulgaris

Horned Bladderwort - Utricularia cornuta

Greater Bladderwort - U. vulgaris

Flat-leaved Bladderwort - U. intermedia

Swollen Bladderwort - U. inflata

Humped Bladderwort - U. gibba

Purple Bladderwort - U. purpurea

Northern Purple Pitcher Plant - Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea

Round Leaved Sundew (both white and pink flowering)- Drosera rotudifolia

Thred Leaved Sundew - D. filiformis

Spatulate Leaved Sundew - D. intermedia

Slender Leaved Sundew - D. linearis

(and hybreds of the above)

My book is around 30 years old so someone correct me if the scientific names have been changed.

Anyhow,  all of those grow in our area
smile.gif
 Some of the bladderworts will want a pool of water, but I don't know which are which.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Dec. 27 2003,05:14)]I have a bog in Ohio. This is my first year of keeping any plants outside. I have alot of plants in it that are from warmer climates but I'm going to experiment and see what survives.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I am wondering if anyone knows of any other low maintenence cp's I can keep out side.
The question is, when you say low maintenance, how low do you mean? If you want plants that you can just plant and forget, I'd go with only the very hardy plants.
If you want to do a little more work and cover the bog with mulch then there are alot of cp's that you can add to your bog. That's really all I did this winter was cover my bog with pine straw. I can't remember every plant I have in the bog but off the top of my head I have lots of D.muscipula.

D.californica

S.flava, S.rubra, S.purpurea ssp purpurea and venosa,S.minor, S. oreophila S.Leucophylla S. hybrids,

D.capensis, D.filiformis, D.intermedia, D.spatulata

And some bladder worts.
I have alot more in it but I can think of them right now. I'll remember in the spring if they survive.
One more question that I have is where do you live in Ohio? Ohio has very different climates through out the state. That may also effect which plants you can keep outside.
If you cover your bog with mulch, I would suggest that you use pine straw. It's the only thing I'd use. I know that it may be hard to find in ohio but if you're close enough to me I know a good supplier.

[Please note that I said this is my first year of having growing any plants outside in Ohio. This is an experiment that I'm doing and I have no proof that any of the plants I mentioned will survive the winter. I'll be able to give you that info in the spring. I, in no way suggest that you try to grow any of the plants I mentioned outside.]
When I say easy maintenence I basically mean I don't want to have to bother with checking humidity, temperature, or anything else that is radically different from other carnivorous plants. I basically want to plant them, water them, and enjoy them. Also I am from New Carlisle Ohio which is near the Indiana border. Overall though thanks for the help I will be sure to check into those species of plants

I looked you up on a map and I think you should be ok to grow any of the species mentioned above. The first year I would only plant extras that you can spare if they don't survive, then keep experimenting with other plants and see if they survive. I wouldn't try it this year, If I were you, I'd wait until next year.

Hi,
I'm planning on a mini bog garden this spring also.I live in Iowa and our temperatures here can vary quite a bit during the winter.We are getting rain tonight when it could be close to -20,you just never know.I plan on S.purpurea ssp.purperea,D.intermedia,D.rotundifolia,and possibly P.vulgaris.
Mark Wilson

Ozzy how did you plants do? I have sort of made a bog to place my plants in while I am at college. Basically I took a tub that was about 4ft longand 6 in deep filled it with a few inches of rainwater and stuck all my plants in their figuring nature would take care of them for the remaining couple months at college. I put them in about mid April and they have experienced a couple frosts while away that had me worried along with some hot days. I was worried because I didn't have time to acclimate them. I have made a few trips back home to check on them and the results are mostly positive. They are all still alive. my S. Purpurea is growing fantastically and is now a deep maroon/purple. Something that caught me off gurad is that my Darlingtonia is also doing fantastic showing new healthy growth and what not(which is odd because I had to baby it to get mediocre results in my dorm room) My S. Rubra and my venus flytraps though have mostly died back and look pathetic however they have new growth some I am confident that they will come back with vigor. I am planning on tracking down some native drosera species though and hope they will thrive. I think once school is out though I am going to bury the tub mostly in the ground and surround with rocks for a more natural look. I also my fill it most of the way with LFS. Since Ohio has spotty weather though where it can be 70* one day and -5 the next though during winter I am planning on covering the bog with 2-3 layers of clear plastic sp the plants can still photosynthsize on the clear warm days while being insulated on the cold days. Around the end of December or so when the weather gets cold and stays cold and I am on my winter break though I plan on mulching the plants for added insulation if I think they need it. Do you think this will work? Also what about watering the bog in the winter? I feel as though dry cold wind will dry it out but mold will set in if it is too moist. What about freezing temps? Thanks for the help. Once my plants are back in their prime I will take pics!

Back