What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep light! brightly shaded and direct!

hey i have decided to put all my neps under cool white flouresant light. Some neps are not doing well in my sundew terrarium because of the strong light. Light fixtures are cheap here in Singapore. I was thinking of suspending the lights above the plants or put a stand to support the lights.
i plan to put about 60W worth of lights under the plants and shading the ones that takes indirect light. Or maybe i should make 2 separate?
is 30W considered as "bright shaded" for neps?
how bout 60W?

also where should cuttings be placed ?

im afraid of buying the wrong intensity of lights.

(the lights are under a 2 or 3 feet area)

thanks!

I wish I had the problem of too much light  
laugh.gif
.  It never seems to be the case in my situation.  Yet me tell you this: I have 2x chroma50 20w fluorescents powering my nepenthe tank, and I'm worried they don't have enough light.  The bulbs are rated at 875 initial lumens each.  That's pretty low...  So, could you tell us the lumens that the bulbs produce?  Are you going to be working with fluorescent, compact fluorescent??

Cuttings should be placed in a area with very high humidity.

Are you growing highland or lowland (or both) types of nepenthes?

Sorry I couldn't really answer your lighting question but there are so many variables to the subject...

-Homer  
smile.gif

im growing them under flouresant lights, i have compact flouresants for my sundews and they are quite expensive...
im growing lowland neps
the lumens is about 1500 for 30W

thanks!

Back