What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Plant Box

This is the plant box that I've been working on for weeks:

jason_plantbox_003.jpg

And with the junk off my desk:

jason_plantbox_008.jpg

jason_plantbox_009.jpg

jason_plantbox_004.jpg

With an internal electrical outlet, for future options, and vent fan on a toggle switch. The vents have plexiglass slides to close them.

jason_plantbox_006.jpg

I'm planning of putting a light difuser over the lights because I'm getting too much heat off them, then venting the ballasts. After that I think I'll be able to move some plants plants close to the light. I'm also thinking about a humidifier, but the humidity has been okay so far (in the mid-70s), so I may not have to.

This is my first box, so let me know if I'm overlooking anything.

jason

PS-in case you can't tell, I'm still trying to figure out posting images, so...

jason

nice , looks like you made it out of an old piano , lol
biggrin.gif

Very very nice Jason! Looks like a professional Wardian Case.
wink.gif

I wouldn't worry about a humidifier if you have the vent orfices with the slides to seal them up then humdity should be fine, just an occasional mist would be fine I think. My lowland grow chamber is very air leaky and sometimes i don't mist for a week or more, yet all sensitive plants, even N. northiana still grow fine. I'm getting 6 inch tall N. bicalcarata pitchers with the current setup. Just trying to save you a few dollars with uneeded equipment.

Of course, if humidity dips into the 40% range and misting isn't helping maybe you should invest in an Ultrasonic humidifier, don't buy those big ones with the pad in them, thier effect is greatly reduced with RH is very high, but an Ultrasonic will just keep adding micronized water droplets to the air and RH will go higher and higher until 100% of course.

Think I've said enough for now!

This is a very nice idea, and you have done great job, good for you
smile.gif

It is beautiful.

Very cool. It looks like all your hard work was worth it.
smile.gif

-buckeye

Nice looking workmanship there Monkey.  Where did you learn to do woodworking like that?
I worked my way thru college as a finish carpenter...and digging graves at Mt. Calvary Cemetary...and can appreciate the time it took you to "do it right".
smile.gif

Very elegant - great job!
wow.gif

Peter

Back