What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YOUR GREENHOUSE- Building need ideas

My brother in law and I want to buy or build a greenhouse.  For those of you with greenhouses what does yours look like so we can get a better idea on what we need!  
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

P.S. We do have books on them. Currently looking at Ortho's All About Greenhouses. Good book. But, I'm looking for a more CP edge on greenhouses. And ideas of where to look to buy one if it's cheaper that way.

Well at least you have an idea on what your planning on, so I hope my greenhouse talk will be ok.
smile.gif

First decide what covering you want, I would go with poly myself, double layered inflation if possible. Decide what frame you want, I chose the galvanized hoops (well they were given to me.)

Get a reliable heater!!!!!! Mine broke down and all my plants froze...luckily I didn't have an extensive collection and most of the plants did come back better than they were growing before!

Get a shade cloth, preferably around 50 to 60% density. You can just shade part of the greenhouse too, so you can grow sun loving CPs on the other side of it. Nepenthes for example could go on the shady end.

Insulate the foundation. Make sure you get all the nooks and crannys sealed up with silicone and/or Great stuff, that foam in a can. You want a greenhouse to be as air tight as possible so it will retain humidity and temperature (for the winter months). Also if you are going to be utilizing an evaporative coller it needs to be extra airtight, all air must be going through the pads for maximum humidity and cooling output.

Get an exhaust fan big enough for the greenhouse. I personally have a big 3 foot diameter fan that has a CFM of 11,200 I belive. Of course ou may certinaly not need a fan that big but be sure it meets of exceeds the CFM of your greenhouse, it's better to havea fan a big bigger than a bit smaller. You want the air to exchange in the greenhouse about every 1-2 mintues so on a hot day it will be nice and breezy in there, not hot and unbearable.

Ok, that about covers all the neccesities. Here's a photo of my private greenhouse.

gh.JPG

Any questions just ask.
smile.gif

Good luck!

My suggestions:

Backup systems for heating and venting/cooling with each system independent on it's own circuit. Also have provisions for heating and venting/cooling in the event of a powerfailure.

Tony

yeah, Good Luck we will need!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the advice! I never would have though more about sealing up every crack! I would have thought it was sealed when building...but that 's a good point about getting it AIRTIGHT! Thanks!

And the advice on the backup systems...definitely good advice. Too bad I don't think we have the money. Hmm...Or do we? Anyone have some good estimates out there on their greenhouses?

Any added pics would be appreciated. I have a pic of a HOOP FRAME example. Any Gothic, Barnstyle, Freestanding, attached greenhouses, etc to add?

I have a quick "?" How do you get pure water into a sprinkler system.

If you get a hoop type make sure it's able to withstand your local conditions. Nothing worse than having one cave in because of too much snow or something on it. Some are not designed for all season use. If you shop around can probably get lots of used equipment including a hoop type house.

Jamie, just have the misting pump siphon from a resevoir with RO or Distilled water in it.

Looks like my plans to build a greenhouse are coming to pruition. Yes, I do worry about the foundation with the wind that may blow very fast here. I also worry about the snow. I will take your advice and build the best plans I can. Perhaps before I build I can post the plans here just to get the pros and cons about it from you guys! Thanks for your posts.

Back