What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I purchased two light hoods

• Thread starter nightbreed
  • Start date
I purchased two compacted 4ft long light hoods with a total of four T8 bulbs. After taking them out of the box, I noticed they don't have a plug for a regular outlet. Stupid me....what do I need to make them work for an outlet? Also they don't have reflectors, any suggestions for me to use?
rock.gif

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but what kind of plug does it have? I know you can strip the wires for most things and weave them into a regular outlet but I'm sure there's a simpler solution
tounge.gif

Your going to need some light cord, a plug, and a screw down compression fitting.

The fittings are the same ones that would hold wire going to a circuit breaker panel. The fitting goes into a hole on top/end of the unit and a thin nut holds it on. The wire goes through the fitting and the 2 screws clamp it tight so it won't pull out. Then you will need to attach the plug to the one end and wire the the other end to the ballast inside the unit according to the diagram with the unit.

Tony

That was rather complex.

go to a home improvement store and get a replacement plug. it's basically a plug that you just lay the wire into and screw it down tight. as long as the voltage is the same, you should be fine.

as for reflectors, just start with aluminum foil or mylar sheeting. i personally use plexiglass with reflective automotive window tinting on it, but that's fairly time consuming and expensive.

Welcome to the forum Drunknmunky.

Your info on attaching the plug is good since I didn't get into it.

I am guessing there is no wire as most shoplights are designed to be wired directly into a lighting circuit after installation.. hence the details on attaching a wire to the fixture.

T

Ahhh i see. i get all my lights from a indoor garden store thats really close to me so i have never purchased actual "shop lights". makes sense though =) i thought he meant that the plug was just wrong (ie 3 prong plug into a 2 prong plug)

Back