What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Bulbs?

Ok im looking for some grow "light bulbs" i have never used bulbs before but i have seen others on here using them for cultivation. I have a set up that i cant fit just 4-foot shop lights in so thats why im thinking of just using bulbs what type do you guys think is the best for good growth! The plants in the set up are just lowalnd Nepenthes what type of bulbs would be good for them?

Electric Carnivores!!!!!

EC,

There are also 2-foot shop light fixtures that are essentially the same as the 4-footers, just smaller. Also, there are standard Compact fluorescent bulbs that can be used in place of regular incandescent light bulbs. Look for color temperatures of around 5000k. If you can't find that info, get "daylight" or "cool white" bulbs. Stay away from "soft white" or "warm white" bulbs. And look for as high a wattage as you can for the compact fluorescents. For the 2-foot tubes, look for "cool white" tubes or you can spend more on veri-lux bulbs or other fancy grow lights, which are good but expensive.

Capslock

Capeslock Yes i have tryed Cool white fluorscent lights before but when im dealing with fluorscent fixers i like to use G.E pland Anaquarium i find these lights are great for good growth and color
smile.gif
I was going to ask you how do you grow yur Heliamphora Heterodoxa x minor do you just grow it in a tank over lights? do you use the cool white? how many watts does yur plant get? yur's seem to be a little more colorful then my H.HxM
smile.gif

EC,

My Heliamphora is grown in a little enclosed terrarium that's about 30 inches under and 12 inches to the side of a 400watt MH light fixture. It gets pretty solid light from it, plus a little heat while the light is on. This means the temperature drops pretty good at night to the low sixties. It gets up to around 80 during the day. Most of my other plants are grown under fluorescents, both tubes and compact.

Capslock

Ahh That must be why. In the winter i have my heliamphora's growing under lights the heterodoxa x minor is a young plant kind of looks like yurs when u frist posted the pic's it has nice color aorund the lip of the pitchers and the spoon is deep red maybe when it gets older it will start getting more colorful cause i also have H.minor and the plant is really red but its a mature plant too so well just have to wait and see thank you Capeslock for yur help
smile.gif

::::::: Electric Carnivores ::::::::

I use vrei-lux bulbs, 60 watt, for my seedlings, and the response in growth from these bulbs has been excellent. Veri-lux may be expensive to some, but the cost of Metal Hallide just to run is off the map powerwise. Be careful not to buy the verilux floodlamps, as they can cook your plant to a golden brown before you can blink. The bulbs on the other hand are cooler, but still build up incredible heat if enclosed. I agree with Capslock that the cooler flourescents would be the better way to go in your case. I use mine on my heat loving sarracenia.

I like the 23 watt ge compact flourecsents in a "chicken reflector"(available at mfa and agway) 6 in. above the plants. I believe mine are "warm white" wich appears to increase flowering most likely because of the higher far red spectrum these bulbs contain.

Back