What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigger is better?

Well, I decided to go to a 55 gallon tank on it's side. I'll get more plant space and the lights will be closer. Thanks tp the person that posted the idea. I'll put plexy glass on the front and I'll have a total of six 4-ft. florescence lights on the top.

I am still looking for a neat way to mount the the hoods over the glass. How far should the lights be mounted from the glass?

My price tag seems to be growing fast and it will take me awhile to get it up and going. I hope I don't regret it. The tank I was looking at was 4ft long, 21inch high, 18 inches deep and it had a price tag of $170 for the tank. Has anyone see them cheaper?

What do you folks do to move air around? Any setup ideas?

the tank your looking at is a 75 not a 55 and 170 is a pretty good deal

Wow! where did you find a 70 gallon for $170. Thats unbeliveable! tell me where you are getting this! i might have to make a call =)

nightbreed,

The 4' light strips should be placed directly onto the glass.  I have a 55 gallon tank on its side as well.  You'll get a good amount of heat in the terrarium, so what I did was make a chimney effect scheme.  Here's how it works... in theory.  There is a air-intake hole in the lower right hand side of the front cover (plexiglass), and in the upper left hand side as well.  Hot air in the terrarium rises, and therefore exits the terrarium the only place it can; the upper left hole.  Because of this action, air from outside the tank is drawn into the terrarium from the hole on the opposite side of the tank.  This keeps air moving from one side of the terrarium to the other.

I'll post a picture of my terrarium shortly.  
smile.gif

terraiumdiag.jpg

hope this helps,

Homer

I got my 125 gallon tank new from petsmart for 150 dollars
tounge.gif
but i guess that cause they false advertised
ghostface.gif
(long story)

AMEN! BIGGER THE BETTER! ENOUGH SAID!
biggrin.gif

Very nice Homer! Thanks for the pic, that was the setup I was shooting for. Did you make your own tank stand? I am in search of a nice looking simple stand that has a small price tag. Also, how big did you make the vent holes? Your setup looks great, only one thing, I don't see any VFTs!
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

The VFT's are on the very right hand side.  I just took them out of dormancy a few days before I took this picture.  What little green you see is last years growth and sphagnum moss.  

Sorry you can't see the holes in the picture.  I just cut the ends off diagonally about 2" from the origional corner of the sheet.

-Homer

speaking of the chimney effect, has anyone made one of the half black, half white bladed fans to move air around. Just an idea. I'm not sure it would spin fast enough, but then maybe it would.

Hey Homer, how are you keeping the acrylic sheet in place?

hey homer, do you need any blowing fans or air pump at the air intake? now i have a terrarium on its side opened, im still planing on what to do ill probably buy plastic to cover it up like you, also, isn't the air hot? i put my hand inside the terrarium and it feel like 30 over degrees celcius !!!i have a mister and a strong cooling fan, should i use it?
thanks?

also how much W of light is shining down that terrarium?

does that hole let in enough fresh air?

Sorry for the delay on replying.  Here are the averages on the lighting situation, taken from their initial ratings keep in mind.

Total Lumens = 9875
Average CRI = 84.75
Total Watts = 160
Average Color T = 5750

I don't have any method other than the chimney effect to cool things down, and no misting system is used, because that would have adverse effect on the drosera.  As it is, the humidity is too high in the back of the tank, so I'm thinking about making the vents bigger.

-Homer

Back