What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

small contaner bog soil

I am creatng a small bog container garden and i am wondering what a good soil mix to use for the plants i wll be puting in there.
D.calfornica
D.muscipula
sarracenia
drosera fliformis

Lmk

You can most likely get away with a sphagnum peat mix of some sort. 1 part peat to 1 sand and some perilite or something along those lines should be good.
Dionea, Sarracenia and Drosera should be okay in a mix like that.

Throwing D. californica into the mix complicates the issue greatly. As you may know, that plant needs a relativley open long fibre sphagnum-based soil mix to keep the roots cool, and also it would be a good idea to give it plenty of "room" ie. a large container or just a large enough mass of soil to keep the roots cool.
In my opinion, you should leave Darlingtonia out of the garden -or isolate it somehow in it's own container. Giving that species the care it needs will most likely irritate the bejeepers out of the other plants who require much different conditions. Darlingtonia likes a water level quite higher than the level perferred by Dionaea. In time, wet soil may irritate your VFT's. Growing media and water level aside, I wonder what effect the frigid water required by Darlingtonia will have on the other species.
'stuff like that.

-Trev

good point i might leave the cobra lily out of it and plant iin its own mixture.thanks for your help

I assume this Sarracenia species you are including is one of the more compact ones, like purpurea or psittacina? Trumpets may outgrow your small container... didn't know if you had thought of that, but I just felt like saying it.
-t

Back