What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does CO2 benefit CPs?

I know that some people that grow aquatic plants inject co2 into the water.

Would having co2 intro duced into a sealed terrarium benefit the plants at all?

I use a tropic air humidifier and was thinking of splicing another line inbetween the air pump and the airstone. So the CO2 would be forced in along with the humid air. I could easily just run an extra line from this 10lbs co2 bottle I have thats owering my CA reactor.

But if co2 isn't really that beneficial I guess it wouldn't be worth the trouble huh....

CO2 is benefical to all CP's and plants of course. With out CO2 I am sure their growth would be much reduced. I liked the setup I had, but it spilled and the whole terrarium went sour with vinegar and baking soda....not a pleasant small or sight so be wary of what you do! I have done it on several occasions but setting off a container full of vinegar and throwing in baking soda a litle at a time which releases CO2 in the greenhouse.

hmm that sounds messy....lol.

I think I'll try the set up I have in mind.

How much is too muc co2?

I don't think too much CO2 levels would be a concern, except at night. Photosynthesis is reversed and the plant breathe like us rather than with the sun to have the Photosynthetic reactiosn going. At night the only cycle running is the Krebs cycle which requires O2 so if you had high levels of C02 at night, it could be one heck of a negative effect.

cool, thanks for the info, I'll be sure to turn the co2 off at night...

How come every time I mention the idea of memorizing the Krebs cycle to one of our biology major forum members I don't get much of a response?
rock.gif

Because its a pain in the bum. I used to know the whole thing.
smile.gif

I use Co2 and noticed a huge difference. I use 2cups of sugar and 2 teaspoons of yeast in a 2litre bottle. I drilled a hole in the cap and it slow releases in the aquarium. The bottle is actually in the aq., its a pretty big terrarium. The bottle needs revitalization every 2 weeks.

Joe

You add vinegar to that solute I am assuming?

One needs not use vinegar in a yeast and sugar solution. The yeast feeds on the sugar and as a result one of thier waste products is CO2. With vinegar and baking soda its purely a chemical reaction which is producing the co2. Superimposedhope, I like your idea too. I may try that for slow release of co2...
cool.gif

It works great and is like 10x's less likely to exploode. Flip sides' got the right idea that it feeds on sugar and reproduces itself with a waste product of Co2. I actually just add more sugar and a little yeast every 2 weeks although I suppose I should trade out a new bottle and solution. I am moving to a ventilation system which will be 3 2litre bottles that are connected using an elbow(PVC) and become the pressure driving Co2 and fresh air into the terrarium. I have a vent prob. if you read my truncata HELP topic. Well anyway It's a good natural means and the sphagnum loves the yeast.

Joe

So all you do is add your choice of yeast, and some sugar? No wet ingrediants to make a solution or anything?

.When i breathe out i exhale Co2. when you brethe out, you exhale Co2. Every animal does, and if my biology book is correct, every plant too. Cars give off lots of it, and so do factories. So much, in fact, that its warming the planet.
Now that doesnt mean you should turn your car on and hold your plants next to the exhaust. that would be bad.

Whatever. yes, more co2 can benefit all plants.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]less likely to exploode

Say What??!!!!
wow.gif

I dont know if all yeast works but, I use active yeast. 2tspn, 2cps of sugar, fill the rest with water up to where the bottle begins to narrow.

Joe Its a good idea to shake every couple of days to stir up mix.

Hi all,

A very detailed article, from an aquarium perspective, but still relevant.  All you need to do is ignore the section on delivery systems into water as that's not applicable to us:

A Treatise on DIY CO2 Systems for Freshwater-Planted Aquaria

The general recipe for planted aquaria is:

6 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon bakers yeast

This generally gives about 2 weeks of good CO2 production (depending on temperature).

Bakers yeast you can get from any supermarket and if kept in the fridge should last for a very long time.

Aaron.

Back