What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Gardens

Mine is still sleeping. What are you confused about? How to build one or what to put in?

When I built mine I used a prefabricated pond liner, so I could move it when I have to. The same principal should apply if you want to put yours in the ground.
Hardware stores such as Lowes usually sells the black plastic sheeting you’d use on an in ground bog. You can buy large bales of peat moss at Lowes,or Wal-mart. At least here in Texas you can. First decide what plants you want to put in it. Make sure that the plants shares a love for the common soil( I. E. 1 part peat to 1part sand, or perlite). I have a 3” PVC pipe at the bottom covered with geo-fabric
That makes a ninety to the top. This way I can siphon or drain if need be. I also always mix in a little bit of pine needles to my soil. Some one here suggested placing long fiber sphag around the edges as a way to see the moisture content.
Let us know what your planting and we can give better feed back.

Great, I just bought some for it, could you guys show some pictures of yours, that would help alot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Great, I just bought some for it, could you guys show some pictures of yours, that would help alot.

Instead of re-asking your question, why don't you answer those of the people who are trying to help you with specifics?
rock.gif

Hmm... the N.rajah and the Darlingtonia may be a bit tricky to grow with all of those other plants. They require very different growing conditions. One preferring it very wet, and the other preferring it damp and so on.

They both like well-drained soil, and you may be able to grow them in the same soil mix.. maybe... if this were some other Nepenthes. However, I'm told that N.rajah is a bit picky. Etc etc.
You would need a big mound in the center where you would place your N.rajah so it could get less water. There is the possibilty of simply planting it in it's own pot, however.
The Darlingtonia might also need it's own separate area. A high water table, and a cool, well aerated soil would be recommended. You might want to have this plant on it's own water system too, so you could give it cooler water than the other plants.
I could see an S.purpurea being OK in a wet cold water... but I'm not sure. Again, these are just the first things that come to mind when I read your list. I'm not bog expert.
-Trevor

By the way, I remember seeing many pictures of bog gardens on TerraForums. Have you searched for any?
You can also look at http://www.cpukforum.com/forum....d699bed
for some bog garden pics.
I searched Google for some bog pics. I was able to find quite a few.

Back