What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterfall -vs- Fogger

Waterfall -vs- Fogger for humidity

any opinions?

Ultrasonic fogger works faster than a waterfall to bring up the humidity but the choice is largely dependant on which plants you put in your terrarium and the size of your terrarium.

I use to keep neps in a medium size terrarium using the fogger for humidity. It was great until I moved a couple of drosera's in with the neps. I now have drosera's, neps, and utrics in the terrarium... though the neps and utrics don't mind the humidity, the drosera's don't appreciate it. So my fogger now is in search of a new assignment. Of course if you have a larger terrarium, it might work as the fog would dissipate faster across a larger space.

Hope this helps....
smile.gif

10 gal. terrarium -- and I decided to go with the small waterfall from Exo Terra. I figured that even if it does nothing, at least it will look cool.

Oh itll do something thats for sure!
I dont particularly care for the little foggers as they tend to heat the heck out of the water forcing one to replenish the reservoir often, too often.
Not to mention it could potentially raise the ambient temp of your terrarium.

I'm using a Sunbeam Health At Home humidifier.  It cost $25 from Kmart.  You can get it at other stores of course in the health section.  It works well, has a cool mist to it.  Most importantly, it is very consistent, unlike the Exoterra I bought last fall, which sputtered and spat water all over when it decided to work.

-Homer

Ultrasonic foggers do need to be capped or they will 'sputter' water all over the place. Also, with waterfalls, consider how the water circulates; I built a waterfall in an enclosed terrarium when I first started it became a mess because of the algae and cyanobacteria. Definitely a filtering system is necessary.
smile.gif

Sounds to me like you had quite an excess of nutrients cchang.
Most likely P.
Some other form of plant attached to your waterfall or growing in your reservoir could have resolved this.
Most aquarium shops sell several species of plants that would do well in either situation.
Various species of Anubias would work, theres also Vesicularia dubyana, aka Java moss and Microsorium pteropus, aka Java fern would work equally as well.

well the problem with foggers is you have to refill them often but waterfalls dont bring the humidity up as much however

Exo Terra sells a waterfall i can't remember if its the large or medium but you can place both a fogger and its a waterfall that way you get a really impressive look and if you dont want to you can turn the fogger off for a bit and just let the water fall run

Khai,

Thanks for the tip... I would like to create the setup again one day.

biggrin.gif

Back