What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess This Plant

Anyone know what this is? A friend found it in his backyard and thinks its a cp. The middle of the flower is hollow and curls at the bottom like a nepenthes pitcher, and there is liquid in it. thats all he told me

Yes! ;-)

Here are some more pics, but I won't say what it is....
PC280035_001.sized.jpg

PC280037_001.sized.jpg

If this is a different plant, let me know! Its hard to tell from your pic.

It is also in the Carnivorous Plants FAQ, I don't believe it is carnivorous (although it certainly looks like it)

Wow.... he found it? Where does he live?

yes, thats the one!

He found it in his backyard, about 30 of them. he lives in florida

BTW, are we "guessing," or do you really not know?

Nope , ain't a canna lily , John I gave you those for your b day so its not what's in the pic . The plant is Not carnivorous though , thats just the how flower traps insects to pollinate its flowers , similar to how the orchid paphiopedelum pollinates it's fllowers . There not rare , there more of a weed in some places and can be founf wildy here too . The common name of this vine is the Dutchman's pipe . The scientific name is Aristolichia , i don't know what species it is though , it's either Aristolochis elegans or gigantea depending on how big and colorful the flowers . Very interesting plant indeed , i happen to grow it too but miens has never flowered , by the way , the flowers have an unpleaseant odor .

Aristolochia elegans. That's what it is. "Dutchman's Pipe"

Capslock

I know it as Calico vine.
smile.gif

Calico_vine01_web.jpg

Looks like Aristolochia elegans to me.

Back