What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling a cheap outdoor

Hello all,
  I recently got a nice, inexpensive greenhouse that I thought I'd keep on my balcony outdoors.  This faces east, and I live in Dallas, TX.  I think it is already getting a little hot in there during the day, and I know it is just going to go up.
  What inexpensive cooling solutions have people used, and to what extent are they effective?  I already put a shade cloth on top, and I was thinking I could freeze some 1 gal water containers and put them in the greenhouse.  Are there any other nifty ideas?

DSCN4086.jpg

---Lane

Well the only thing I can think of is to simply open it up but this sort of defeats the enclosed humidity issue. Keeping enclosed grow structures from becoming ovens is a big issue and not a simple matter. Short of pumping rehumidified AC air or some sort of evaporative cooler or misting system I can't think of any way to keep it cool and maintain it's humidity retention purposes.

I'm having a heat issue with my 10 gallon tank, I have no idea how to keep it cool...and it's deffenatly affecting my plants... Maybe throw some ice cubes in the river bed...
sad.gif

What about Peltier heat pump module? But I'm not sure if it will be useful for such a big terrarium...
rock.gif

I don't think the frozen jugs will help. It seams having the cold jugs the humidty will grab onto the jugs.. but then drip and maybe evaporate... recreating the humidity... hmm... I dunno.
tounge.gif

Andrew

Frozen jugs (hah) will bear good results in smaller enclosures. For that size greenhouse I would say perhaps a cob job cooling setup like a small PC/muffin fan mouted in the top for hot air exit and an opening in the bottom to let cooler ground air in. And to help, you could wet a sponge and place it in front of the intake hole to make a small evaporative effect.

Back