What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

School bog garden

I am thinking about building a bog garden of CPs at my school. It has a natural clay bog out back, and it doesn't get any chemical runoff! Anyone have any advice on how to design it? What sort of plants should I use?

Thanks,
Craig

PS it stays wet all year, even in times of drought

If you find out anything I would be interested. I teach at a high school in Florida and we have 104 acre campus that backs up to a swampy area. I've always wanted to do it too, but just never could figure out how. I always assumed that the native plants would just crowd out anything I planted.

Yeah, I worried about that as well. One of the teachers is going to help me clear out a large area of land. I'm then going to dig and put down either a pre-designed pong or tarp. Then I think that, after it has been filled with peat/sand/LFS and soaked (very boggy) most plants will not be able to enter through the plastic, or survive the waterlogged conditions. I hope to try a small version first, just to test it. I'll keep you updated on results and observations. I'm also building a bog at my home and I just finished putting a 6 by 4 foot bog in. No plants yet, I'm just letitng it soak for a few days, and settle. Then I'm going to sculpt it a little, and then....
Plants!
I can't wait!

Craig
smile.gif

Hello,

I have built a successful bog and would be glad to help. Could you email since the topic could take awhile. There will be some intrusion from seeds but they are easily removed. Also, do some investigation on wetland plants found in your states. It is a great project for the kids and the plants that are native (and wanted) will take off in your bog.

Back