What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

46219Bog.jpg

Hello all, I was just turned on to this forum by a fellow dart frogger in my search for some terristrial Utricularia species and I thought that I might introduce my self and my bog. I am graduate student in the Botany Department at the University of Florida, studying the physiology of photosynthetic velamentous roots within the Orchidaceae. I know its a mouth full. I have been growing CPs for about 7 or 8 years now, but I haven't really been collecting for the past few years. So here is a pic of the bog I keep at my mother's. Its about 12X14 ft and ranges from about 24 to 16 inches of soil depth. Its a 1:1 peat:sand mix. There is a 70ft soaker hose coiled in the bottom we use to flood it and a network of perferated PVC about an inch from the top that drains out the sides to prevent flooding. And here is what I grow...

Utricularia subulata
U. subulata var. cleistogama
Sarracenia purpurea (one green form, one heavily veined)
S. flava
S. leucophylla
S. leucophylla 'Hot Pink'
S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'
S. rubra
S. minor
S. minor 'Cases Resolve'
S. psittacina
S. psittacina 'Snorkel'
S. X catesbaei
S. oreophila X williamsii 'Sand Mountian'
Drosera intermedia
D. hybrida
D. filliformis
D. filliformis 'California Sunset'
D. binata
Dionea muscipula
Vaccinium macrocarpon
Lobelia cardnialis
L. spp. (blue)
Juncus spp. (a few different ones)
Iris fluva
I. pseudoacorus
I. virginiana
Platanthera ciliaris
P. spp.
Calopogon tuberosum

Hi Jay,
I'm just down the road from you, in Ocala. Part of my love of plants comes from the classes I took from Dr. Shanor (passed away a while back) at the Botany Dept at U of F!

Welcome to the forums!
John

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for sharing the picture of your bog, it looks great!

Outstanding!  Very impressive... and welcome to the forums.

happy growing,

Homer

Welcome to the forum.

Jerry

Hi Jhupp,
Welcome to the forum (a little belated). You have a fantastic bog there! Those sars are awesome.
I have a question for you: U. subulata is regarded by some as a pain because it spreads so readily. Does it have any negative (choking) effect on your sars? I kinda want to put it in my sar pots, as a nice top "dressing," but I don't want to choke out the sars' roots.
Cheers!

Back