What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compact flourecents

Hey guys does anyone here use Compact - flourecents?
How good do these lights work? I've only used Tub-shop-light flourecents and have a new chamber thats a little deeper so thats why im asking about the compact lights since they are so bright! and can reach down there more. Thanks guys.

Electric Carnivores.com

I use them and they are great as you can get some sizes
Arie

i use them, i think thats why my seedlings are doing so well
biggrin.gif

they are under 2 compact flourescents 4 24/7

I use them as well. I use Regent.

Joe

I use one to suppliment natural light for my Nepenthes, I get good trap color and size so I believe it works great. My Nep. is hanging in an east facing window and doesn't get any direct light so the extra light is needed. Jack

I just got my Fluorex.

I'm gonna go to HomeDepot to buy a lamp cord, two S hooks, some chain, and 2 hooks to screw into my ceiling.

This is going to be used over my 10 Gallon.
smile.gif

Careful! I have heard of Flourex bursting. I have been told by several people that they are not very durable.

Joe

Bursting. Nice a explosion in my room. Just what I need.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Where in the world can I buy a good compact flourecent between 20 and 75 watts, you know, the kind that fits into a reg light socket?

What's the best wattage to get that provides ample light for my plants without making the room exceedingly bright? Basically, the 60 and 100 watt equivelants to incandescant bulbs is what I'm aiming for.

Nothing for standard sockets are going to be very bright, except tube flourescent. I use a compact flourescent that is a mogul base. Its made by a company called Regent and it has taken some pretty good hits to the floor and accidentally kicked once. It still lights as bright as could be. All my plants are a good deep red and my healthy plants pitcher with no problems now.
Its 65wtt
6500lumens
like 92 or 94 CRI.

It cost me $50 plus tax for base and bulb.

Joe
BTW I got it at Menards

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fygee @ July 02 2004,12:01)]What's the best wattage to get that provides ample light for my plants without making the room exceedingly bright? Basically, the 60 and 100 watt equivelants to incandescant bulbs is what I'm aiming for.
The higher the better. If you want strong healthy plants you need strong light. If you have alot of natural sunlight you could get away with a lower wattage as a supplement. If your growing primarily with the compact fluorescent you would have a hard time providing too much light even with 65watt compact fluorescent.

Tony

My Fluorex worked fine last night.  I shut it off.  And now it won't go back on.

Boo hoo.
smile_h_32.gif

What is the 65 watt's incandecant equivilant? I gotta make sure that its not too high and I end up blowing up my lamp (100 is recommended but 150 is the max before it becomes an extreme fire hazard).

Unfortunately I have to use artificial light as its pretty much impossible to give them natural sunlight during the summer months without frying them to a crisp (I live in Vegas).

Fygee you mean the lamp is rated for incandescent bulbs at 100 and 150w? You can use any size screw in compact fluorescent. The rating that comes with lamps for maximum incandescent is an issue with heat from the lamp. Compact fluorescent bulbs are MUCH cooler.

example the 65watt compact fluorescent lamp is equivalent to light output of a 500watt incandescent. But it produces much much less heat. A 500watt incandescent is hot enough to burn frenchfries while you could nearly touch the 65watt compact fluorescent and it would just feel warm.

Leslie- did you cover up the sunsensor on it? The fluorex/regent fixtures are designed to run at night and have solar sensors on them so they don't go on during the day. You can put a little piece of black tape on it to fool it.

Tony

It came with the black plug. I have testing everything.

I used a multimeter on it.

I just went to HomeDepot, got a bulb for 13 buks and it still doesn't work. I'm going to return the bulb and buy a whole new Unit from Home Depot. 35 buks

Or should I get two of those clamp lamp holders and a 3 pack of 23 watt CFs?

It's 8 buks for a clamp lamp 8.5" and 10 buks for three 23watt bulbs.

I can just sit the two lamps above my tank. Instead of hanging the Fluorex over the tank which btw lights up my whole room.

well the fluorex has better light quality and quantity. I would bring the unit back and get another.. If you just got it they should exchange it. Probably the electronic ballast in the unit died. The bulb as you have found out is not likely to be the problem.

The screw in 23watt bulbs are soft white which has a color temperature around that of warm white 2100k or so.
Tony

Back