What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light reflection for grow chambers

I've noticed that several people have mentioned the use of mylar for light reflection in their grow chambers. I've looked for this @ several places(aquarium shops, home improvement stores, etc.) but I have yet to find any. In fact, the people at those places are pretty much clueless about what I'm talking about. The best suggestion I was given was to use some sort of reflective paint.
smile_l_32.gif
Where do you all get your mylar(or similar material), and how much was it?(I'm in the US, if that makes any difference)

Thanks,
elarwhis

intensive hobby stores usually carry it. It is rather expensive though, like $50 for a 48" X 25' roll. I found mine at a hydroponics store. You can also use the shinier side of aluminum foil.

Joe

Well, if it's that expensive, I'll probably end up using aluminum foil. Thanks.
smile.gif

If you have an eBay acount, they usually have loads for not too bad of a price.

Joe

Yeah, when i was just restocking, Ebay ended up being the cheapest. One of those places that says "All sales are discrete. We don't want to know what you are growing. If you tell us, and it is illegal, we will not sell your our product..." LOL

Aluminum foil really doesn't do the same thing. It's more diffuse than specular. But it may not matter, depending on your usage.

Mylar does make a good insulator, though, if that's important. It helps keep my lowland terrarium much warmer than the surroundings in the winter.

Of course!! Ebay! Why didn't I think of that?!?
smile_n_32.gif

I found something similar to mylar at a nursery, $8 for a large roll.

Back