What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do nepenthes need a terrarium?

I was just wondering about this. I'm thinking about getting some neps, and I wanted to know if I need to build a terrarium. And some building advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

nope, some can easily grow on a window sill.
i have my 3 nep Ventratas hanging over my kitchen sink, and they do justfine. i mist them 3 times a day and they are vining
they get 4-5 hours of direct sunlight
hope that helps,
Hellz

if you are going to try them outside a terrarium the hybrids such as Hellz ventrata are the best. they seem the most tollerant of the lower humidity. Rokko is another one that has been good hybrid to try. Miranda is another easy to find hybrid. if you are interested more in the species a terrarium is USUALLY best. the true lowlanders loke lots of humidity and warmth which is generally hard to do on a windowsill if you are in a dry climate like me, i keep all my Neps in terrariums because i can control conditions better, and they are flurishing. ppl down in the south east US may have better luck with the true species on windowsills. i guess it just depends on your conditions and how adaptible your individual plant is. it doesnt hurt to experiment.

Rattler

Thanks for the help. I think I can probably just leave them on a windowsill. Right now, in Pennsylvania, it's about 81 degrees with 67 percent humidity. I think they'll be fine. Thanks again.
smile.gif

I grow all almost all of my neps outside of terrariums. Most are on wire racks under fluorescent lights, some are in windowsills. I never mist them, but here in San Francisco we have pretty good humidity. Almost always over 50%. I have N. aristolochioides, N. mira, N. lowii, and many others all pitchering happily. The only ones I have in terrariums are N. x trichocarpa, N. albomarginata, and N. ampullaria, and I'm sure they'd all do fine outside the terrarium, too.

If you have decent enough humidity naturally, no terrarium is needed.

Capslock

Realize that Nepenthes have a tough time adapting to change, so when moving from high humidity, they will most likely lose all their old pitchers and a lot of the old leaves, but the new leaves will come out tougher (assuming the conditions aren't too harsh).

Also, you may be able to grow the Nep fine, but it won't pitcher. But give it a try!

In my experience so far, i'd have to say that Nepenthes will grow faster and larger in the controlled humidity of a terrarium, though.

Mine do fine outdoors here in MO. misted frequently:) Heres N.raflessiana
N.raflessiana2.JPG

Back