What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burning in-ground bogs

Hey -

I have heard of a few people burning their in-ground bogs, and it makes sense since that happens in the wild. Who has experience with this? When is the best time to burn? Are there any special considerations?

- Patrick

PT, Write Brooks Garcia on this Forum (Sarraceniaobsessed) about that. He has huge bog gardens he fires up every year that he can. He can help you.

Yes, I know of him burning his bogs.  I was hoping for multiple inputs, various situations and growing conditions.

Good start just the same, Patrick!

Yes, I know, for sure. Not trying to downplay Brooks...he's certainly an advanced grower.

Patrick,

You might try taling to someone at ABG. I beileve Ron Determann burns his personal bogs and I think the ones at the gardens get a burn now and again as well.

Thanks for the lead - the ABG will get to hear from me yet again (I email them almost constantly about carnivores and orchids).

You and me both LOL

Pyro, are you as your name sugests?
smile_n_32.gif

Joe

The Atlanta Botanical Garden.  Also known as Heaven on Earth.

I burn my bogs as I learned from Mrs. Wilkerson in FL. who has burned off her front yard every winter for 60 years. (her Daddy did it before her) The bogs there are burned two days after a rain in mid to late Feb. The flower buds are not up and the weather is still cool. Two days after a rain means it is dry but not to dry as to get out of hand. ALWAYS have a hose ready! Plastic tags melt very easily (DUH) and I am not sure that zinic or copper will hold up much better. I do keeep the fire away from the liner. Sometimes I dust the bog with a light layer of pine straw to keep the fire moving along. Usually by then I have removed all the old pitchers and they get burned seperatly and the ash adding back to the bog. I water the bog when I am done, one to make sure the fire is out and two to settle the ash in the soil.

This does no harm to the growth points either?? I'd be nervous to try it upon a bog of S. oreophila or flava...the growing points are right above the soil line!

Brooks -

Thank you very much for the information.  If it works for Mrs. Wilkerson, it works for me!  The plants on her land (from your pictures) are truly amazing.

Nep G -

In the wild, Sarracenia are dependant on fires for their long-term success.

With water in the bog, temperatures would be kept lower.  In addition, the most heat is near the top of the fire, not at ground level as you might expect.

Fire may do some damage, but I wouldn't expect it.

- Patrick

In cultivation, we tend to plant our plants too high. In the field, the points are below the soil surface. Patrick in correct in that a low burning fire is best where the hottest part of the fire is well above the growth points. If you keep a tiddy bog without grasses and other associacted plants, then a LIGHT layer of pine starw is helpful to keep the fire moving across the bog. Many of my points are well above the grond and I have not seen adverse effects. A fire like this is way too hot. I am burning the old pitchers seperatly and put the ash back on the bog.

burn0314.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 13 2004,3:03)]Pyro, are you as your name sugests?  
smile_n_32.gif

Joe
Joe,

In my younger days yes I was. I still am a bit of a fire bug but experience has taught me that while fire can be fun it is also a very serious business. I don't "play" with fire anymore but I do always carry a lighter because you never know when you might need to start a fire. My name here is just a carry over of my old river rafting nickname (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG story)

In the case of bogs of native species, it's to clear the space for the pitcherplants to thrive, to get old growth out of the way for new growth, and to return nutrients to the soil.

As far as I know, none of the southeastern U.S. species need fire for germination...I could be wrong.

Back