What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrariums

Just wondering if there any good guidlines for building your own custom terrarium. Glass vs Plastic, Openings, and anything else I just don't know about (just good guidlines to follow).

And not a terrarium that's like a greehouse. More of one that is a eco system in it's own, housing CP's and other various plants and perhaps animals.

i'd use acrylic instead of glass. it's lighter, clearer, and if you scratch it, you can buff the scratches out with kits you can buy.

it's alot better than glass IMO. also, it doesn't shatter and it bends.

if you have critters like lizards in it they will constantly scratch up acrylic i think, i know they do on plexi. this isnt a factor with things like dart frogs but if you are intersted in lizards it is.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i'd use acrylic instead of glass. it's lighter, clearer,
Doesn't matter if it doesn't have water in it: each material will have non-distinguishable clarity without water. Even with water, you will only tell the clarity of acrylic over glass in extremely large tanks, where glass tends to get a bit of a greenish tint (often only noticeable if you're really looking for it).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and if you scratch it, you can buff the scratches out with kits you can buy.

If you buy glass, you don't have to worry about scratches (unless you moving something pretty hefty around inside it.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it's alot better than glass IMO. also, it doesn't shatter and it bends.

Glass won't shatter unless you drop the entire tank...and glass DOES bend. Trust me: that's why they put crossbraces on tanks, to minimize the bending. Also, glass tank are generally cheaper and a better value until you start getting into 100+ gal size tanks. A smaller acrylic tank of the same size will generally cost more than a glass tank of equal or comparable size.

didn't think about the water facor lol.

i bought glass, and i i scratched it up.. it's hardly noticable but I know it's there and it bugs me. i should have been more careful because now i can't get rid of them.

when acrylic bends it has less stress on it. anyway, you won't have to worry about anything bending since its going to be a terrarium.

he's right, if it's a larger tank, get acrylic, smaller, get glass.

If memory serves correct a 20 gallon glass tank weights 240+ lbs of presure when full of water and it wont bend to any noticeable distortion. it does scratch allot less than acrylic but i don't know of a way to remove a scratch from glass ( i doubt you or a lizard would scratch it anyway)
if you did want to go with the solar panel/fan
radio shack sells both of those items. also they sell small fans that can hook up to a standard electrical socket with a plug.
gl with the project id like to see pictures of it when its being made.

I'd like to hear more about custom terrariums and how you physically make the things.
This is an amazing terrarium, http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery/talltank/page1.html
but I don't know how they got to step one - the tank with an open front. Anyone have experience with the actual construction of a tank ?
Matt

that terrarium is.. amazing.

i'm speechless.

Eh, i've seen better. I think they're called Zoo's.. or something like that.

The terrarium is great, just too bad he has put so many crappy plants in them.
laugh.gif

i liked all the plants except for the tacky ornamental ones like the colorful vines. the orchids and broms, tillies and that weird moss is cool , but not nearly enough nepenthes!

Hi,
I have a questions about Darlingtonia, Venus Flytrap, sundew and I am want to by
more to extend my collection. I used to collect them a number of years ago
. I bought some a week ago, I have them in
a little plastic domes they came in. I know it takes they need humidity but I am confused what to
about the lighting. Some people say east or west end not south, or south near window sill
in a terrarium not covered.I don't have east and west windows. So I guess articial will have to be better. But c
could I still do them in a terrarium in the South window?>
What is the best way to care for them this way. I would like to put them all in
a terrarium but I first want to get the lighting right before I put them in a terrairum.
I want them to get some sun and humidity. One place said to
take off the plastic dome and put them into the sun (south side). I am thinking of getting
some artificial light as well.
Any help appreciated. Please also reply to email below if you can . below
I am new to this list and it is great resource.
Dr. Eric Flescher ( dreric1kansas@aol.com),
Olathe, KS. USA

Thats what I'm doin at the moment actually.

Just so you know: For it to be an ecosystem, it'll be very time consuming for a while untill it is established.

1) Glass or Plastic? (Your choice really, in this case it won't make any difference)
2) What kind of backdrop do you want? Molded 3D, poster, cork, coco mat, osmunda firn mat?
3) Waterfalls or no waterfalls, thats a good question. Will there be any standing water, and how will it be changed to avoid harmfuls?
4) Do you want overhead misting, rain? Or do you want the sonic fogger?
5) Will it be tropical or desert?
6) False bottom or earth?
7) Epiphytic or terrestrial or both?
8) What are my options for light sources and how will they affect my internal temps, humidity? Will it be strong enough to grow plants top to bottom in the tank? If animals will also live in it, reptiles need UVB source (another bulb besides the plant bulb)
9) Ventilation.......How and where.

Now after those are answered then you start the brain storming. How and what will epiphytes be mounted to? What will I use for terrestrials and how will I keep it from rotting or becoming sour? What plants will I use? Keep in mind that when this starts to come together, the top of the tank will be hotter and more humid than the lower parts of the tank. If you use a fogger; Any lower areas will pool the fog and become saturated quickly. If you use an earth bottom then you need to consider the drainage in the very bottom and how it can be cycled or changed.

Personally:
1)I used a glass 48gln pentagon
2)3D back
3)No waterfall or pools
4)I use none of these. Instead I have opted for an environmental control system. Basically: Humidified air pushed through a carbon scrubber then through a small tube where CO2 is added and then back into a fog section and finally out into the chamber again.
5)Tropical - 85deg.F. 78-90%humidity
6)Soil mix is: base: gravel-1", fine mesh screen, LFS-1/4", Peatmoss-1", LFS/Soil-1", topped off with pillow moss and epi-moss (fern-like)
7)Epiphytic with few exceptions.
8)I use 1X 85wtt 'white' CFL (Compact fluorescent)VHO (Very High Output) and 2X 45wtt 'red' CFL VHO. This makes a very nice spectrum, timer brings the white on first for an hour in the morning and the red stays on an hour later at night. This gives a mild "sun rise" and "sun set" that the plant seem to like.
9)Ventilation is done with the environmental control I mention above.

I have begun establishing bacterias for nitrogen cycling and organic breakdown. I have started Mycorrhiza 1)to help root function and 2) Out compete other fungi. Then I started on moss and lichens. Moss is well on the way to established, and lichens are just beginning to take hold.

Joe

Back