What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outdoor vft bog.....

Just wondering the best way to germinate VFT seeds in an outdoor in-ground bog garden.......

Don't want the birds and insects eating them, wind blowing them away, rain washing them away, etc, etc, etc.

I thought about a light, thin layer of hay, but would like any thoughts on that.......

I may use aquarium gravel as a topping and was wondering if a thin layer of that would do the trick.

Way too many too germinate inside and then transplant outside.........

Any Thoughts, Tips, Pointers are Appreciated!!

Thanx!

hmmm...
i suggest buying VFT bulbs instead of seed because its a long process with seed, and can be difficult to raise outside, and if u go with bulbs, u can propagate before planting to get more plants, and they will clump on their own when they grow.
Hellz

The seeds are already purchased, and I understand the length of raising them for the first 2-3 of years.

Not a "Big Project" for me---just something I am going to do.......

Just looking for info on the best way to make it happen......

Thanx!

After a recent trip to the Hosford site in FL., where VFT go wild, I would suggest getting LFS to grow or dried shredded LFS as a top cover. At Hosford, they were coming up by the 1000s in the live spaghnum moss. It was quite a sight. (sorry no pics)

One more point, get the LFS to grow outdoors under full sun. Getting sphagnum to grow indoors is a killer.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]After a recent trip to the Hosford site in FL., where VFT go wild, I would suggest getting LFS to grow or dried shredded LFS as a top cover. At Hosford, they were coming up by the 1000s in the live spaghnum moss. It was quite a sight. (sorry no pics)

That must've been quite a sight. *Drool*
smile_n_32.gif

Back